Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Checking for spark...  (Read 1186 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Checking for spark...
« on: 18 July 2013, 17:34:55 »

hi guys, want to check on my mates rover 25 that he has good spark. if I take plugs out, attach them to the leads and earth them on a part of the engine is that safe? ive seen my teacher do it but is it a habit I should not pick up?  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Checking for spark...
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2013, 18:18:30 »

hi guys, want to check on my mates rover 25 that he has good spark. if I take plugs out, attach them to the leads and earth them on a part of the engine is that safe? ive seen my teacher do it but is it a habit I should not pick up?  :y

Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. I did just that the other week with my Dad's car. Use Molegrips/Vicegrips so you avoid getting a shock!  ;)  ;)  ;) It's not a habit you'll be able to pick up for too long anyway, because more & more cars use coil packs  ;)  ;)

mantahatch

« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2013, 18:43:42 »

I have only seen it once but someone did this on flooded car. Interesting to see flames shooting out of the spark plug holes  :o

That said it used to be a very common way to check the spark. Some very good people I used to work with could diagnose quite a bit just by looking at the sparks colour/duration. And they where right  a lot more times than they where wrong. But I suppose that is the days of mechanics who repaired things rather than parts fitters you find in many places today.

mantahatch

« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2013, 18:45:38 »

Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. I did just that the other week with my Dad's car. Use Molegrips/Vicegrips so you avoid getting a shock!  ;) ;) ;) It's not a habit you'll be able to pick up for too long anyway, because more & more cars use coil packs  ;) ;)

Thats a good point. Out of interst is any car still being made with conventional HT leads ? or dare I even say a distributor  :o

martin42

« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2013, 18:54:13 »

Use a spare plug instead of removing plug,and do 1 lead at a time

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2013, 19:12:50 »

cheers boys :)

just checked the car and its the weirdest thing..... cyls. 1 and 3 has a coil pack each that and two leads going in to it for each cylinder  ???

presumably I can pull them out, leave them plugged in and earth them? if they'll stretch to the nearest earth point ??
RIP Paul Lovejoy

mantahatch

« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2013, 19:19:51 »

I used to use one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-GENUINE-LUCAS-HT-LEAD-SPARK-PLUG-TESTER-YDB116-/111095539253?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19ddcf6635

Still got one, somwhere, I think, gawd memory not so good these days

We also used to make one. Spark plug. jubilee clip and large croc clip. Flatten out end of crop clip and using jubilee clip attach to spark plug. Pull of lead clip on your nice home made tester and clip to good earth point. Worked very well indeed. Now def know where that is.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2013, 19:22:09 by Mantahatch »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2013, 19:21:54 »

just checked the car and its the weirdest thing..... cyls. 1 and 3 has a coil pack each that and two leads going in to it for each cylinder  ???

presumably I can pull them out, leave them plugged in and earth them? if they'll stretch to the nearest earth point ??

Quite common Webby :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2013, 20:41:01 »

Quite common Webby :y

Use a jump lead to earth Webs ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2013, 08:05:28 »

It tells you very little though as we have discussed many times in the past.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2013, 09:07:34 »

You might get what looks to be a decent spark .. but it is only jumping through 14.7 psi, (29.92 " hg, 1013.25 hectopascals) (atmospheric pressure) .. a very much easier task than at the top of the compression stroke when the pressure is some 10 times higher and the "atmosphere" it is working in is also full of fuel vapour. All it will tell you is that the circuit is complete, nothing at all about the quality or capacity of the circuit.

TBH .. it is often better if you get NO SPARK when doing this test, as it tells you the circuit is broken and proper fault finding can be done .... IMHO .. :(

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2013, 10:23:10 »

Indeed you only need about 1-2kV to jump a 1mm gap at atmosperic pressure, in a fuel/air mix at 10x atmospheric pressure you need 10-20 times this at least (with many systems operating at 35-40kV).

And given how the system generates this voltage (e.g. by a collapsing magentic field), a spark that jumps a 1mm gap when tested as above gives no indication that something is good.

Considering also that a coil rarely fails open or short circuit these days and that the general failure is related to the iron core in which the magnetic field is generated, its a pretty poor test.

chrisgixer

« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2013, 11:31:20 »

As Mark said, not that I understood 3/4s of it, given these can fail at various rpm and not another rpm, or fail under various load conditions and not others, I fail to see how a simple electrical test on a bench can give conclusive proof of a good or bad coil.

But then, I am utterly useless with electrics. So...  .... Listen to what Mark says ;D

I wonder... Say we had a brand new tested ok omega 3.2 pair of coil pacs. And then loaded it under excess conditions for which it was not designed, say an 8 litre v6, if such a thing existed... ....would it eventually fail, or fail to provide a spark under such conditions eventually, or fail early. Even though there is nothing wrong with it, as such, given the purpose it was built for.

Manufactures only build stuff to be for for a purpose, not fit for all purposes , to my mind.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2013, 13:57:19 »

It would work fine in the conditions you describe.

It would be more intersting to see if the ECU coil driver would be happy driving it  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.