Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hydraulic and Air Brakes?  (Read 1031 times)

Bruce Hammerson

• USA
    • Tractor
    • View Profile
Hydraulic and Air Brakes?
« on: 13 June 2013, 10:10:21 »

I understand hydraulic brakes, I know air brakes, but I don't get air over hydraulic. Why didn't the manufacturers just go with air brakes, it seems like there are two systems when one would work. Furthermore does the air pressure release the brakes like a air system, or does air force apply the brakes like a hydraulic system. If the hydraulic system has no fluid would the tires secure up like air or not work like hydraulic. regretful for my ignorance with this issue.
WorldQuip LLC offers Hydraulic Hammers for industrial purposes.

05omegav6

Re: Hydraulic and Air Brakes?
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2013, 11:38:20 »

I think they operate in the same way that airbrakes do, with positve pressure required to release the brakes.

The hydraulics control the overall force needed to be applied by the driver, making stops smoother, full airbrakes are a bit On/Off without much in between. Probably helps with ABS function as well. Any leakage, whether hydraulic or air, would result in the brakes locking on :y

Air works better at the business end, as repeated stops in a 40+ ton truck would soon boil off the hydraulic fluid.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2013, 11:57:32 »

I think they operate in the same way that airbrakes do, with positve pressure required to release the brakes.

The hydraulics control the overall force needed to be applied by the driver, making stops smoother, full airbrakes are a bit On/Off without much in between. Probably helps with ABS function as well. Any leakage, whether hydraulic or air, would result in the brakes locking on :y

Air works better at the business end, as repeated stops in a 40+ ton truck would soon boil off the hydraulic fluid.

Only if spring-assisted actuators are fitted (which they usually are) - and then only on the wheels to which they're linked! ;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2013, 12:06:28 »

I'm sure the Bedford MKs that we had at the gliding club had "air assisted" brakes and worked the other way around. The brake drums incorporated hydraulic slave cylinders driven by a conventional looking master cylinder and reservoir mounted on the chassis. The driver's brake pedal controlled an air supply to an air actuator on the front of the master cylinder.

So, worst of both worlds. On/Off brakes and no fail-safe. You could quite happily start it up and immediately reverse it out of the hanger  before realising that you had no brakes! At least the handbrake was a conventional cable driven affair, if you were quick thinking enough to use it.

I think it also had a retarder on the front of the diff that was air driven by a lever on the steering column. 
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2013, 20:31:41 »

Thanks for the explanations folks

I'm curious though.. 

Why would a newbie that drives a tractor in 'USA' pick OOF to ask a question that has the square root of buggerall to do with omegas when his/her IP address shows as Asia?

Just askin' , as the current buzz phrase goes!!   ;D

And his ISP is showing as India??
« Last Edit: 13 June 2013, 20:34:20 by hotel21 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2013, 20:52:53 »

Thanks for the explanations folks

I'm curious though.. 

Why would a newbie that drives a tractor in 'USA' pick OOF to ask a question that has the square root of buggerall to do with omegas when his/her IP address shows as Asia?

Just askin' , as the current buzz phrase goes!!   ;D

And his ISP is showing as India??

Chap's obviously well-travelled. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2013, 20:55:05 »

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a tin of that well known Specially Processed Assorted Meats......  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2013, 20:56:49 »

Still, at least he hasn't tried to sell anyone a bigger willy .. Or posted total gibberish. Yet! ;)

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2013, 21:01:24 »

Proper little Poirot tonight aren't we Highlander. ;D ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2013, 21:10:12 »

I go through the latest members and pending members three or four times a day or more to weed out the mini drivers and other spamming eejits before they spread their jizz over the forum which in turn saves loads of 'I'm telling dad' email notifications to the admin team. And I know jimbob does the same when he hats a chance....   ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2013, 22:31:37 »

Not wanting to cut me own nose off, but I had presumed the increase in spam would see an in increase in verification posts for new members.

Or maybe its not really an increase, more that a few more have slipped through...?

Who'd be an admin aye? (Not that Vamps fellow anyway ::) ;D )

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2013, 22:50:31 »

Not wanting to cut me own nose off, but I had presumed the increase in spam would see an in increase in verification posts for new members.

Or maybe its not really an increase, more that a few more have slipped through...?

Who'd be an admin aye? (Not that Vamps fellow anyway ::) ;D )

And I thought you voted Yes.......bully..... :'( :'(

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2013, 13:48:19 »

I go through the latest members and pending members three or four times a day or more to weed out the mini drivers and other spamming eejits before they spread their jizz over the forum which in turn saves loads of 'I'm telling dad' email notifications to the admin team.  And I know jimbob does the same when he gets chance....   ;)

TB would do it too if he had the time,he's too busy culling postcounts :D :D ;D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2013, 15:06:23 »

Ahh, well, Bruce, your questions are answered and not a peep. ::)

You don't mind if I call you Bruce, do you? Save confusion.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

;D

Bruce Hammerson

• USA
    • Tractor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 August 2013, 09:24:57 »

Ahh, well, Bruce, your questions are answered and not a peep. ::)

You don't mind if I call you Bruce, do you? Save confusion.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

;D

;D LOL... thanks for your sense of humor Kevin. Of course, you can call me Bruce, that's what my friends call me. And thank you all for your kind response to my question.   :y
WorldQuip LLC offers Hydraulic Hammers for industrial purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.