Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help?? My Omega Electrics got a mind of their own  (Read 1475 times)

bliss

• Cheshire UK
    • Omega V6 24v 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
Help?? My Omega Electrics got a mind of their own
« on: 06 September 2013, 15:39:55 »

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me where i should start looking? or if there is any test procedure (test points) that i can follow / check (im quite competent with a multimeter ;) ).

Problems which occur are :-

Heater stopped working (blower) all controlls make noises but no air, then works sometimes when it feels like it. (checked skuttle it was blocked a while ago but cleaned it)
Sunroof opening on its own (just found out i need to clean the switch, gonna do that this weekend)
Back drivers side window and front passenger side window opened on its own (twice)
Alarm kept going off, found out one of the dogs had scraped the back window sensor, bypassed that and it was fine for a while.  Then all of a sudden door wont lock with the key and when it did alarm went off.  now i have to lock the car from the back door (to the front from inside to stop the alarm going off)

the last thing which is strange, my stereo code went into SAFE 6 months ago, got it decoded yesterday, put it back in and it all seems to work (radio display signals etc) and CD does its thing, but no audio.

The car only got 41k miles on it from new.  Its a Omega 2.6 CDX V6 Auto Estate on a 03 if that helps?

Can anyone tell me where i should start please?

Thanks in advance

Jane
« Last Edit: 06 September 2013, 15:42:43 by bliss »

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: Help?? My Omega Electrics got a mind of their own
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2013, 15:57:05 »

I've had lots of bizarre symptoms when my battery was on the way out on a couple of my old cars - worth checking out, perhaps?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

bliss

• Cheshire UK
    • Omega V6 24v 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2013, 17:03:18 »

Good Idea, i didnt think of that, even though the battery is showing no signs of wear as such its still worth checking.

Do you know what the "normal" offload voltage should be? is it 12v or ?  I have a multimeter i can test it to eliminate it.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2013, 17:10:34 »

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me where i should start looking? or if there is any test procedure (test points) that i can follow / check (im quite competent with a multimeter ;) ).

Heater stopped working (blower) all controlls make noises but no air, then works sometimes when it feels like it. (checked skuttle it was blocked a while ago but cleaned it)
Sunroof opening on its own (just found out i need to clean the switch, gonna do that this weekend)
Back drivers side window and front passenger side window opened on its own (twice)
Alarm kept going off, found out one of the dogs had scraped the back window sensor, bypassed that and it was fine for a while.  Then all of a sudden door wont lock with the key and when it did alarm went off.  now i have to lock the car from the back door (to the front from inside to stop the alarm going off)

the last thing which is strange, my stereo code went into SAFE 6 months ago, got it decoded yesterday, put it back in and it all seems to work (radio display signals etc) and CD does its thing, but no audio.

The car only got 41k miles on it from new.  Its a Omega 2.6 CDX V6 Auto Estate on a 03 if that helps?

Thanks in advance

Jane

Sounds like your battery maybe on its way out or have you discounted it recently?

Heater - Try a CC Panel Reset, press and hold two buttons, but I cant remember which ones of the top of my head, someone will confirm no doubt.

Sunroof and windows do a complete full re cycle of Sunroof and all windows - fully open each window and close and hold the button down for around 5 seconds each way after open / closing do the same for Sunroof, Open, tlit, slide etc.

Alarm, could be Power Sounder on its last legs, see FAQ or Maintenance guides, or Bonnet Switch or just your Dog as you say.

Door Lock, Key or Fob?

Audio  are all the connection fully home on the back? 

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2013, 17:15:21 »

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Jane

Sounds like your battery maybe on its way out or have you discounted it recently?

Heater - Try a CC Panel Reset, press and hold two buttons, but I cant remember which ones of the top of my head, someone will confirm no doubt.

Sunroof and windows do a complete full re cycle of Sunroof and all windows - fully open each window and close and hold the button down for around 5 seconds each way after open / closing do the same for Sunroof, Open, tlit, slide etc.

Alarm, could be Power Sounder on its last legs, see FAQ or Maintenance guides, or Bonnet Switch or just your Dog as you say.

Door Lock, Key or Fob?

Auto and OFF buttons for 5 seconds  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2013, 17:19:30 »

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Jane

Door Lock, Key or Fob?

Auto and OFF buttons for 5 seconds  :y
Thats the 2, thanks, and with Ing. on.

bliss

• Cheshire UK
    • Omega V6 24v 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2013, 17:34:13 »

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Jane

[/color]I have not disconnected it, not sure if vauxhall do when they service it or not[/color]

Done that one already a few weeks ago, it resets as it should but still no difference

Thank you, i will go do that one now

I don't think its the power sounder, i have read up on them.. i think mot these faults are connected somehow

Door Lock, Key or Fob?
Thought that too, so i got my other key and it did the same, replaced batteries in one of the fobs just incase also, no joy

Yup tried that. I am about to go pull the cage out and check the speaker connectors for the right ohm's to see if i  can see anything before i start ripping wiring apart

The Joys of motoring eh! Usually i would just get rid of a car with this many problems... BUT i love it and had it since it had 15k miles on it, so i think... better the devil you know... and would i get another nice car with only 41k miles on it now?  i dont think so.

Thank you for all your help everyone.. I got some things to start trying now, also spoke to a local auto electrician (The one who did my stereo) and he said to check the wiring in the doors as they are prone to break..  so i got a busy weekend ahead of me..

Am i right in thinking if i want to check the heater blower i have to get at it from taking the glove box out?   want to test its not blown with that scuttle being blocked a while ago.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2013, 17:35:58 by bliss »

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2013, 18:07:14 »

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Jane

[/color]I have not disconnected it, not sure if vauxhall do when they service it or not[/color]

Done that one already a few weeks ago, it resets as it should but still no difference

Thank you, i will go do that one now

I don't think its the power sounder, i have read up on them.. i think mot these faults are connected somehow

Door Lock, Key or Fob?
Thought that too, so i got my other key and it did the same, replaced batteries in one of the fobs just incase also, no joy

Yup tried that. I am about to go pull the cage out and check the speaker connectors for the right ohm's to see if i  can see anything before i start ripping wiring apart

The Joys of motoring eh! Usually i would just get rid of a car with this many problems... BUT i love it and had it since it had 15k miles on it, so i think... better the devil you know... and would i get another nice car with only 41k miles on it now?  i dont think so.

Thank you for all your help everyone.. I got some things to start trying now, also spoke to a local auto electrician (The one who did my stereo) and he said to check the wiring in the doors as they are prone to break..  so i got a busy weekend ahead of me..

Am i right in thinking if i want to check the heater blower i have to get at it from taking the glove box out?   want to test its not blown with that scuttle being blocked a while ago.

Yep its up behind glove box - if blower motor spins ok with 12V across its terminals, it may be a faulty hedgehog (controller) which is sited just above and to the right of the blower motor.  It just clips in.  Replacements are expensive, so best to go second hand route.  Same controller in Omegas and Astra Gs ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

bliss

• Cheshire UK
    • Omega V6 24v 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2013, 18:46:34 »

Thank you..  Glove box out tomorrow :)   My fella thinks i am mad :D (independence eh lol)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2013, 10:06:31 »

Check Kevin Woods battery charging guide as you're having so many weird electrical issues. Also may be worth paying Jimbob a visit to read the codes from all the electrical systems to see if any bizarre faults stored.

The fan sounds like a shagged speed controller, quite common following a previous scuttle drain problem.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 18 queries.