Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aux heater pump Fuse 24?  (Read 1833 times)

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
Aux heater pump Fuse 24?
« on: 20 January 2014, 21:51:26 »

I have been having problems with my heating for a while and pulling my hair out with it. System flushed and matrix pretty clean to honest. Today I looked at the pump under the expansion tank, both pipes from heater matrix very hot and going into the pump however pump is not running so I investigated further.

According to the handbook Fuse 24 is for the coolant heating now I am guessing that is for the pump, no fuse in it. I duly tried to put in a pump and it fell straight out, very loose no grip whatsover. Fuse 25 next to it is fine which is for the sun roof which I don't have.

I checked the power to the pump dead, had my son hold a fuse in, still dead. My questions are:

Is this the correct fuse for the aux coolant pump or for a diesel fuel heater hence not used on a 2.6?
I have not taken the box off but can I jumper the connection across to the un-used fuse for the sunroof, I do not know how they are connected at the back of the box?
I tested the heater with the engine off when at temp heater fans come on for about 20 seconds then turn off, pump is cold and silent.

Lastly does the pump not working effect the heating to that extent?

Sorry for long rambling post but I am cold and tired. many thanks for any advise on the above in advance.

05omegav6

Re: Aux heater pump Fuse 24?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2014, 21:57:53 »

That pump only works when ignition is in postion one and the climate control is switched on, and will only run as long as the coolant retains enough heat to meet the temperature settings.

The missing fuse is indeed for Scandinavian vehicles with a coolant pre heater :y

If the heater is poor, what is the temp gauge doing? If sitting at 80° or lower, then thermostat is probably stuck open :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2014, 21:59:11 »

AFAIK the additional pump under the header tank is part of the optional "winter pack" and is designed to pump water round the matrix when the engine is OFF !!! It ONLY works if you switch the engine off THEN select climate control on .. it pumps water around to maintain heat in the cabin when the water pump is stationary ..

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.reynolds983/Manuals/Omega2002Manual.pdf

page 131

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2014, 22:13:55 »

Thanks for the replies, my 2002 Omega came with the pre facelift hand book. Also just tried that and yes hot air does come out however pump is not running, I put a meter on the connector and no power pump is quiet, not sure which fuse covers it if not 24.

Normal operating temp is between 75-85  when it goes over 90 fans kick in, in winter like now runs around 75-80 when normal driving, only goes up when stuck in traffic.

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2014, 23:11:18 »

Lazy thermostat then. Change it and the pump will run once there's some propper heat in the coolant :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2014, 09:45:14 »

I don't believe there is a fuse for that pump. It is powered directly from the climate panel, so presumably is fused along with the main feed to the panel.

It only runs in specific circumstances, as said, and won't normally have much impact on the operation of the heater when the engine is running. If the heater is blowing cold and the matrix pipes are hot the likelihood is that one of the blending flaps has become disconnected from its' motor.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2014, 10:00:03 »

Its not blowing cold had the blender flap fixed for the middle two vents, it blows warm. I will give it another flush and get the lazy stat changed as suggested.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2014, 10:13:07 »

Oh, OK. If the problem is only with the residual heat then I think the behaviour you have seen might be normal. It doesn't run the fan or the pump constantly. If the car is up to the set temperature it all shuts down, and only occasionally will it fire up the fan on a low speed and provide a bit of warmth. Presumably this is to reduce load on the battery.

It is worth checking that the engine is getting up to its' full working temperature, though, as this will have a big impact.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2014, 10:27:26 »

I don't think it is getting to full temp, in the current weather temp gauge does not get even halfway, on the move falls to the first marker above the needle rest position. Never had good heat in the car since owning for three years. I am going to run some flush through the system, Forte, flush the matrix again and change the thermostat and see how that goes.

The pump is not running defo because I tried it last night, no vibration and the pump is cold, ignition on position 1 and the climate panel lights up, fans start then fade away after about 10-15 secs. Not convinced its getting power but will look again at the weekend, though appears not cause the lack of heat issue, both pipes from matrix are very hot, to hot to hold this is what has got me stumped.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2014, 11:38:09 »

Check the thermostat the easy way first ....

Start engine from cold (overnight), with all heater/climate controls set to OFF. Leave to idle and stand with one hand on the LARGE pipe from the thermostat to radiator. Wait. What you should feel is a sudden surge of HOT water as the engine approaches temperature and the thermostat opens. If you feel a slow, gradual warming, or a small surge of tepid water, then the thermostat is not working correctly and needs replacing.

HTH  :)

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2014, 12:57:44 »

Thanks for that advise I will give it a go first at the weekend, car will be stone cold then. Hopefully I will be able to sort this once and for all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.