Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: wheel bearing  (Read 3393 times)

Petter

• Horten, Norway
    • omega 2,6 v6 elegance
    • View Profile
Re: wheel bearing
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2014, 22:18:09 »

I had both my rear one done during six months, first on the left side, then after six moths the other one went.
I tryed to change the first one my self, but it is almost imposible to do them whitout special tools, >:( so I had the opel garage do the job.

Petter from Norway

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2014, 22:20:47 »

I had both my rear one done during six months, first on the left side, then after six moths the other one went.
I tryed to change the first one my self, but it is almost imposible to do them whitout special tools, >:( so I had the opel garage do the job.

Petter from Norway
that is piont, if you pay for someone to do the job better to use better quality parts :y

how much was to replace bearings ?? please
« Last Edit: 25 May 2014, 22:22:20 by serek »

Petter

• Horten, Norway
    • omega 2,6 v6 elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2014, 22:26:20 »

Petter from Norway
that is piont, if you pay for someone to do the job better to use better quality parts :y

aprox 3000 NKR for one side... that will be 335 GBP  ::)

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2014, 19:26:45 »

Petter from Norway

aprox 3000 NKR for one side... that will be 335 GBP  ::)

£335 to change one wheel bearing  :o :o I'm so happy I can do my own

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2014, 06:48:41 »

I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
I buy pattern parts, fit them, and have no problems.
Am I missing some important steps?

as do i.
i even fit pattern - - - - -v -r ones.
but have found some parts are better of,being GM.
Hoof'land storeman.

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2014, 09:50:10 »

Friend of mine had his done at an indy for £200 labour, after we tried (and failed) to change it ourselves .. and that was after we'd borrowed Nick's tools!

You'll also need a set of triple square drive bits if you DIY in order to get the handbrake backing plate off (if doing it Nick's way on the car) .. which we didn't have at the time.

Oh and I don't think the indy would do it for the same price next time, given his comments on how much of a ball ache it was!

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2014, 16:57:16 »

Friend of mine had his done at an indy for £200 labour, after we tried (and failed) to change it ourselves .. and that was after we'd borrowed Nick's tools!

You'll also need a set of triple square drive bits if you DIY in order to get the handbrake backing plate off (if doing it Nick's way on the car) .. which we didn't have at the time.

Oh and I don't think the indy would do it for the same price next time, given his comments on how much of a ball ache it was!
that per side??

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2014, 17:14:27 »

I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
I buy pattern parts, fit them, and have no problems.
Am I missing some important steps?

as do i.
i even fit pattern - - - - -v -r ones.
but have found some parts are better of,being GM.
Like cam cover gaskets, steering idlers, hbv's, crank and cam sensors, etc etc.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2014, 17:41:25 »

that per side??

i would assume so,or its £50 per hour labour.. Southern prices :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2014, 18:23:54 »

When Sassenach did mine for me .. less than 40 minutes start to finish .. and that included looking for one of his "special" bits .... :)  Amazing how he did it, and a shame he seems to have disappeared from the forum .. :(

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • Vauxhall omega 2.2dti est
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2014, 21:43:03 »

Little update, it's booked on garage on Saturday. After all the horror stories I'm definitely not doing it! I don't like bearings as it is. Quoted £80 supply and fit. And he sticks to his word

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2014, 09:57:31 »

Little update, it's booked on garage on Saturday. After all the horror stories I'm definitely not doing it! I don't like bearings as it is. Quoted £80 supply and fit. And he sticks to his word

He's either done dozens of Carlton/Senator/Omega ones before, has all the tools and knows exactly what to do...

or more likely...

Going to be very very angry by the time you return to pick up the car and never want to see you again. ;D

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2014, 13:04:26 »

I've done a few estate rear wheel bearings, six or something. Only three have had play in them, three have been just noisy. All have been rusty inside out, especially the noisy ones so water gets inside the bearing. Two of these have been really tough to tackle, without any special tools (well, some threaded bars and various pipes and other metal parts) I think I have managed one or two within one evening including waiting to parts to cool in freezer. One was a real pain, rusted almost solid in hub, soaked in penetrating oil and vigorous hammering including a puller left in tension over night did the trick.

Only once I have had to take the arm off the car and this one was when I had a non-branded bearing and had to re-do it twice (I thought it was poor workmanship from me but the I found out that the bearing was not able to tighten properly).

So, having all the help from this forum, including the fantastic how-to (though can not find it anymore, have it on paper somewhere) I would say it is not difficult, not even hard, just kinda fiddly and I want to encourage all members here to try it themselves  :y Once you have one done you'll be very happy  :y A press and a welder might be of some help but being a convetional person I like to use only conventional hand tools  :D

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • Vauxhall omega 2.2dti est
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 May 2014, 18:21:43 »

When he did my rover he charged something like £40 or £50. And mentioned he'll have to take the leg off this one so I assume he knows what he's in for. He's very patient though I had a Peugeot 405 wishbone bush that I couldn't get off. He quoted £20. Then had the car 2 days because everything was seized solid (hence why I gave up!) He was peeved but still only charged £20 :) loyalty helps. He knows if I need something doing, I'll go to him. Yes, I may get it marginally cheaper elsewhere, although he's very cheap, but I know what I'm getting with him. And sometimes I even get a free valet :D (bugger, I spent 4 hours cleaning it out last weekend! :( )
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.