Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To SORN or not to SORN ?  (Read 1313 times)

Cookie Monster

• Andover Hampshire
    • 2000 W reg 2.5 v6 CD auto
    • View Profile
To SORN or not to SORN ?
« on: 18 June 2014, 18:00:14 »

Hi guys (and any gals)
Its been a long time since I sold a car and looking at the dvla website I am completely confused.
Here is situation: I am about to sell my 2.5 v6 cd saloon, now it is mot`d  and taxed but not insured and is kept on private drive, but is registered in my name.
My question is really , do I have to declare it SORN until I sell it , if so how can anyone test drive it or even take it away if it is SORN`d.?
Supposing I sell it one evening out of office hours and I let the purchaser drive it away already asking if they have insurance of course, am I then in trouble for it being on the road when SORN`d by me ?
Do I have to cancel the SORN in some way?
Appreciate any words of wisdom
Cheers
Adam

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: To SORN or not to SORN ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2014, 18:14:16 »

Hi guys (and any gals)
Its been a long time since I sold a car and looking at the dvla website I am completely confused.
Here is situation: I am about to sell my 2.5 v6 cd saloon, now it is mot`d  and taxed but not insured and is kept on private drive, but is registered in my name.
My question is really , do I have to declare it SORN until I sell it , if so how can anyone test drive it or even take it away if it is SORN`d.?
Supposing I sell it one evening out of office hours and I let the purchaser drive it away already asking if they have insurance of course, am I then in trouble for it being on the road when SORN`d by me ?
Cheers
Adam
If VED is current, no need to SORN
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2014, 18:17:37 »

Hi guys (and any gals)
Cheers
Adam
If VED is current, no need to SORN

I believe it being taxed but not insured is an £80 fine thesedays  :-\
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2014, 18:24:44 »

On further investigation I think you`re correct Jon, though the fine now seems to be £100 :o

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2014, 19:10:20 »

On further investigation I think you`re correct Jon, though the fine now seems to be £100 :o

Kinell ! at least from November you can do tax by monthly direct debit which should take away the refund palava, new buyer can tax by smartphone and drive away if they're insured. 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2014, 19:13:04 »

Kinell ! at least from November you can do tax by monthly direct debit which should take away the refund palava, new buyer can tax by smartphone and drive away if they're insured.
Is that the current annual VED price in 12 equal instalments or are they going to add "admin fees" :-X

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2014, 19:19:53 »

The SORN rules are a right pain when you have a vehicle you want to sell / take off road for a short period hence need to transfer the insurance to another vehicle temporarily. If you are selling a car it means you technically can't allow anyone to test drive it. Doh.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2014, 20:00:55 »

Is that the current annual VED price in 12 equal instalments or are they going to add "admin fees"
:-X

I think we both know the answer to that one don't we >:( ::)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2014, 21:52:38 »

Cant have Tax and no Insurance, as said, £100 fine by post, but in realality youve got about 30 to 60 days before they get on your case.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2014, 11:52:23 »

Cant have Tax and no Insurance, as said, £100 fine by post, but in realality youve got about 30 to 60 days before they get on your case.

just had a snooty reminder from dvla, to remind father that the vehicle needs sorn or taxing, or else a fine, ta, etc expired 31st, letter arrived 19th. So 19 days not 30to 60.
Hoof'land storeman.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 June 2014, 12:49:44 »

just had a snooty reminder from dvla, to remind father that the vehicle needs sorn or taxing, or else a fine, ta, etc expired 31st, letter arrived 19th. So 19 days not 30to 60.
Thats a Tax or Sorn it reminder, which is (or used to be) a follow up £80 fine, my post is about having valid Tax on the Car but not having any Insurance shown on the System which is another fine of £100, normally starts with a letter saying sort it out, prove you have Insurance or get your Insurance Co to update the system within the next 30 Days,  followed by a fine 30 Days later.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2014, 13:24:33 »

Vehicle in question had no insurance either., ran out same time as tax.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2014, 13:27:36 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.