Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Tax Due...What to do?  (Read 744 times)

tomoco

• Omega Knight
  • leicester
    • View Profile
Road Tax Due...What to do?
« on: 17 June 2008, 14:59:25 »

My Road tax is due at the end of june but i'm not sure wheather to get 6 months or 12 months. If i get 6 months and then 12 months in december i'll have all next year before i have to fork out the 400 quid or so (THE NEW RATES FOR 2002 CARS). Think i read some where that because of the pounding that our prime minister has had(Fuel prices, 10p income tax rates etc...) he has shelved the new rates till the economy settles down(with him in charge it never will).
If i get 12 months like i usually do i will have to shell out the new rates in june of next year instead of december.

any thoughts

Mark

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
Re: Road Tax Due...What to do?
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2008, 15:06:32 »

I know that the press is starting to wake up to the new rates (having done with the 10p fiasco), but wasn't aware there had been a uturn yet.

Could you buy 12 months now, cash it in on 31 March, and buy a new 12 months on 1 April (hoho!)?  

unclelicklug

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2008, 15:11:28 »

Second Ian, no reason at all not to do that, and as far as I remember there's no admin charge for ending your tax disc early, last time I did so I got a full refund.
Then back to the post office or internet for a quick retax - can't prosecute you for changing your mind can they?

I'll be there...assuming I remember!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2008, 15:42:36 »

Also,... if you pay the higher rate ie. £400, be it for a year or just 6 months, and the VED goes down during this period, you will actually get a  refund from the DVLA. It happened to me a few years ago now, they changed the rules and a cheque landed in my letter hole (albeit only a fiver) with a letter from the DVLA.

« Last Edit: 17 June 2008, 15:42:46 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

tomoco

• Omega Knight
  • leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2008, 10:19:54 »

Thanks for the reply's.
Think i'll get 6 months then 12 in december. At least i'll have all next year to save up the extra cash

mark

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2008, 13:06:06 »

Also,... if you pay the higher rate ie. £400, be it for a year or just 6 months, and the VED goes down during this period, you will actually get a  refund from the DVLA. It happened to me a few years ago now, they changed the rules and a cheque landed in my letter hole (albeit only a fiver) with a letter from the DVLA.

when i converted to LPG and they sent me a new tax disc, displaying the price as £10 less than i'd paid, i didnt get my tenner back! >:(

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2008, 21:06:04 »

when i converted to LPG and they sent me a new tax disc, displaying the price as £10 less than i'd paid, i didnt get my tenner back! >:(

Well I paid £165 at the Post Office, then got a letter from the DVLA with a £5 cheque saying I overpaid... the disk did say £165.00. But that was 10 years ago, when I bought my first (97R) Oemga.

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 18 queries.