Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Box Oil Change  (Read 1622 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Auto Box Oil Change
« on: 18 February 2015, 14:41:31 »

As I dont feel like crawling around under my car and getting covered in ATF,I decided to enquire at my local VX Service ?? Center if they would be able to do the job.

After the service manager realising car doesnt have a drain plug we got down to going through the price menu.

With me supplying ATF and both gaskets and filter screen I was politely advised it would be 2.5 hours labour at £118 per hour ,although given they havent done such a car for a longtime it maybe upto 3.5 hours,which with my maths seems to be approaching £400 with me providing all parts.

When I asked if they would take car for a test drive after the work and then recheck the levels I was advised they would do that another day after I had driven it for a few days and that would encure another 1 hours labour ,so fast approaching £500.

At present the gearbox has no faults and changes smoothly although felt given age etc it would be peace of mind to have the ATF renewed,but certainly not at those prices.

Time to get dirty I think and save a fortune  :o

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Box Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2015, 15:00:06 »

At least two and a half hours!!!!!!!!!!
It shouldn't take you that long bathing in ATF with the car on axle stands, and cleaning your existing filter.
On a four-post ramp you're looking at what, 30 minutes all in? I think I was billed for 45minutes when I had mine done at work; but the apprentice did it, and with the (staff)labour rate at £12 an hour it was easily worth that to me.

They clearly didn't want to do the job, which is odd considering how straightforward it actually is.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2015, 15:47:24 »

Yes I had quite a chuckle when I drove away from W.J.King,s .Agree they probably didnt want to do it...or more likely didnt know how to do it if they were honest.

Have all the stuff here to do it just didnt fancy getting oily and its a PITA checking and rechecking levels afterwards,but for £500 and me providing the parts was quite staggered.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2015, 16:07:49 »

Try Auto Europe in Charlwood :y

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2015, 17:47:04 »

WJ Kings...name sounds familiar? Are they in Sarf London by any chance? 

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2015, 18:05:02 »

Sidcup/Eltham /Dartford .

Decided to DIY at them prices as oil will wash out alot quicker than pain in my wallet will last  ;D

The Sheriff

« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2015, 18:29:43 »

I, personally, would change the oil in an auto box for the oil in a manual.  :)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2015, 18:33:46 »

Yep, thats the one. I found them really rude and unhelpful over the phone. Once I enquired if they participated in Trade Club, they asked me where I got the trade club from and when I said ABS, they denied they (as in Vauxhall) dealt with any car clubs and I shouldn't have it. Felt like I was in the dock!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2015, 18:35:28 »

Yes I had quite a chuckle when I drove away from W.J.King,s .Agree they probably didnt want to do it...or more likely didnt know how to do it if they were honest.

Have all the stuff here to do it just didnt fancy getting oily and its a PITA checking and rechecking levels afterwards,but for £500 and me providing the parts was quite staggered.

Taking the piss comes to mind. :-\

£118 P/H.......Sheesh. >:(

The Sheriff

« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2015, 18:36:44 »

Yep, thats the one. I found them really rude and unhelpful over the phone. Once I enquired if they participated in Trade Club, they asked me where I got the trade club from and when I said ABS, they denied they (as in Vauxhall) dealt with any car clubs and I shouldn't have it. Felt like I was in the dock!
I, personally, never got any actual trade club discount. They would just put my order on the account of a local taxi firm or something and give me discount that way. Evans halshaw that is.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2015, 18:42:57 »

I used to buy mostly from Andy before VX dropped them. There used to be a Saab main dealer locally before they went bust, gave me a discount (without me asking) on some genuine Omega mats. They were really helpful over the phone and in person.  :(
« Last Edit: 18 February 2015, 18:44:43 by SMD »

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2015, 19:39:25 »

Stealers wanted £160 for a gearbox filter last week  >:( Got one from usa with both filters for £26 inc delivery .
Omegatitis

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2015, 19:58:27 »

I, personally, never got any actual trade club discount. They would just put my order on the account of a local taxi firm or something and give me discount that way. Evans halshaw that is.
Quite, don't ask, won't get etc :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.