Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cold engine temperature  (Read 1006 times)

dandor

• skipton
    • Omega CDX 2.6V6 Auto
    • View Profile
cold engine temperature
« on: 28 January 2015, 19:17:56 »

Hi guys, recently upgraded to a cdx 2.6 v6 so far I'm very pleased with it, there's just one thing I want to check with you pros. I'm not sure if its due to the cold weather were having or if something is wrong but I have to drive about 7 miles before my temperature gauge rises at all. Even then the highest it will go is about 75 degrees. If I go down hill for any longer than a mile it will fall to the very lowest point of the gauge again. I know the guages are just a rough guide but it does seem cool. My heaters are working fine and get hot fairly quickly and I have no warning lights. Does the v6 actually run cooler or does it sound like something is a miss? It just seems as if my cooling system is working too well. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks again.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: cold engine temperature
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2015, 19:21:24 »

Shagged 'stat.

Enjoy the b-bolt :P
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2015, 19:23:19 »

Start the engine from cold - overnight is best - and leave to idle while standing with one hand on the LARGE pipe from the top of the engine to the radiator. After a while you should feel a sudden surge of heat as the thermostat opens. I bet you actually feel a very slow but gradual increase in heat .. as it sounds like your thermostat is FUBAR..... you have the classic symptoms of a thermostat stuck open

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2015, 19:31:00 »

Agreed I had the same problem on my 2.6 changed the thermostat and all is well. Do you need a cambelt change in the near future if so it is an ideal time to do both and maybe the water pump as well.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2015, 19:36:29 »

I thought that I should add that there are members that will happily do the job for you if you do not  feel confident to take it on and at a price the fraction of a main dealer.

dandor

• skipton
    • Omega CDX 2.6V6 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2015, 20:18:03 »

I think it would be wise to change cam belt and water pump at the same time as the stat as I can't see any paperwork suggesting it has been done. Its done 82000 miles so well above the recommended 40 thou. Can anybody recommend who or where to get this work done? I'm in north Yorkshire but don't mind travelling. Thanks very much for your quick replies.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2015, 21:46:06 »

I think it would be wise to change cam belt and water pump at the same time as the stat as I can't see any paperwork suggesting it has been done. Its done 82000 miles so well above the recommended 40 thou. Can anybody recommend who or where to get this work done? I'm in north Yorkshire but don't mind travelling. Thanks very much for your quick replies.
You could always spend a day in Stoke, as I think Darth loo-knee still does stuff at a great rate.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.