Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tmf's head gasket  (Read 3268 times)

05omegav6

Re: Tmf's head gasket
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2015, 16:03:38 »

Ofcourse they came with head gasket set,just waiting for flywheel bolts .
Another £40 special?

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2015, 16:52:04 »

When fitting the new crank seal will find that the seal lip wants to fit over the crank at exactly the same point as the seal outer wants to engage in the block - if you try to tap the seal home you will damage the seal lip and it will leak worse than ever.

You need to make a tool to guide the seal lip onto the crank - I have used thin brass or aluminium shim in the past but I imagine a thin rigid plastic would work well (like the old overhead projector sheets). Wrap a strip of your chosen material tightly around the crank and fix the overlap with sellotape to form a tube. Grease the outside of this then carefully insert into the oil seal. Offer the tube + oil seal up to the engine and the tube should ensure that the seal lip cannot get trapped as you tap the seal home.

T.m.f

• 4wd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2015, 17:48:02 »

Ofcourse they came with head gasket set,just waiting for flywheel bolts .
Another £40 special?
Your more than welcome to buy me a complete gm gasket set,but im on a very tight budget so i buy within my means.
1996 300tdi manual discovery,the weekend mud toy and tin tent tower

The devil child ,aka mk2 2006 1.6 tdci focus

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2015, 01:06:23 »

Surely more cost effective to buy right once than to strip the engine every 3-4 months ::)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2015, 06:35:39 »

When fitting the new crank seal will find that the seal lip wants to fit over the crank at exactly the same point as the seal outer wants to engage in the block - if you try to tap the seal home you will damage the seal lip and it will leak worse than ever.

You need to make a tool to guide the seal lip onto the crank - I have used thin brass or aluminium shim in the past but I imagine a thin rigid plastic would work well (like the old overhead projector sheets). Wrap a strip of your chosen material tightly around the crank and fix the overlap with sellotape to form a tube. Grease the outside of this then carefully insert into the oil seal. Offer the tube + oil seal up to the engine and the tube should ensure that the seal lip cannot get trapped as you tap the seal home.
Fizzy pop tins work well, as very thin,and pliable.lots of lube aswell.
Hoof'land storeman.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2015, 10:07:46 »

Surely more cost effective to buy right once than to strip the engine every 3-4 months ::)

To be honest, the cheaper gasket sets are generally ok assuming it has the likes of an Elring, Payen or similar good make head gasket.

Reality is that you re-use the cam seals and the inlet gaskets are all much of a much ness. If you don't remove the exhaust manifold from the head then that's one less thing to worry about (but if you do you need the metal multilayer gasket and not the composite rubbish) and ideally a genuine cam cover gasket.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.