Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on this ?  (Read 6305 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on this ?
« Reply #30 on: 18 November 2015, 18:55:35 »

that's if the MOT man is looking and not just signing the bit of paper always check for rot yourself this is with a P38 some people swear by them and some swear at then as henry sais if you get a good one they are a great car and they drive pretty well..get a bad one and trust me it will be bad :o

MOT check finds the normal wear and tare items but i'd imagine a car of this vintage would of had all the major stuff sorted  :-\

you would hope so but then bushes do fail and rust is the major downfall of any landrover

Engines pretty bulletproof though ? Not that i@d be working on it , serek's the master mechanic nowadays  :)
Omegatitis

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 November 2015, 18:59:00 »

well liners do slip and if it shows any sign of over heating walk away but check all the buttons work like air raise etc
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #32 on: 18 November 2015, 19:01:07 »

Major things to look for with one of them are

1) make sure all electrics work, from windows, central locking, roof, alarm, all lights etc. if possible 2 working keys (expensive to replace) and the EKA. When the Air-con / heating is on make sure the little book symbol is NOT lit as this shows there are faults if it is.

2) Engine wise they are pretty bullet proof IF looked after properly, some - not all did suffer from porus blocks. Oil changes really should be every 5k. Look for any cylinder head leaks (mine went on the passenger bank at the back of the engine and I'm told its a favourite place for them to go, due to the coolant routing and poor coolant maintenance).

3) As said earlier Air-suspension - Best left on air-bags, the ride is 100% better. If it starts leaning to one side or sagging at the rear, the bags will be perished where they fold over on themselves. (NOT the end of the world, but a great bargaining tool for £££ off if you can DIY. The Arnott ones are the preferred replacement expensive, but have a lifetime warranty.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 November 2015, 19:04:28 »

Major things to look for with one of them are

1) make sure all electrics work, from windows, central locking, roof, alarm, all lights etc. if possible 2 working keys (expensive to replace) and the EKA. When the Air-con / heating is on make sure the little book symbol is NOT lit as this shows there are faults if it is.

2) Engine wise they are pretty bullet proof IF looked after properly, some - not all did suffer from porus blocks. Oil changes really should be every 5k. Look for any cylinder head leaks (mine went on the passenger bank at the back of the engine and I'm told its a favourite place for them to go, due to the coolant routing and poor coolant maintenance).

3) As said earlier Air-suspension - Best left on air-bags, the ride is 100% better. If it starts leaning to one side or sagging at the rear, the bags will be perished where they fold over on themselves. (NOT the end of the world, but a great bargaining tool for £££ off if you can DIY. The Arnott ones are the preferred replacement expensive, but have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for that jason  ;) Indeed quite a hefty bargaining tool £££'s off  :y
Omegatitis

05omegav6

« Reply #34 on: 18 November 2015, 20:17:53 »

Be better off with a Shogun ;)

Only guessing but would the parts be MUCH MUCH MUCH more expensive on a Shogun  :-\

Fixed that for you. Mitsubishi translates as HOW oppsing much???!!!!!!!

Shoguns tend to have fewer mechanical niggles than a Range Rover; but the catastrophic failures make up for that. They rust almost as badly, drive like a truck and have nasty interiors.
I'll give you that... the P38 will be a much plusher place to spend the inevitable wait for recovery :y

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #35 on: 18 November 2015, 20:25:37 »

Be better off with a Shogun ;)

Only guessing but would the parts be MUCH MUCH MUCH more expensive on a Shogun  :-\

Fixed that for you. Mitsubishi translates as HOW oppsing much???!!!!!!!

Shoguns tend to have fewer mechanical niggles than a Range Rover; but the catastrophic failures make up for that. They rust almost as badly, drive like a truck and have nasty interiors.
I'll give you that... the P38 will be a much plusher place to spend the inevitable wait for recovery :y

If they're maintained well, they're just as reliable as the next car  :y :y :y

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 November 2015, 20:56:13 »

better option than a shogun is the delica..with the right tyres it will follow any landy :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 November 2015, 22:23:47 »

well liners do slip and if it shows any sign of over heating walk away but check all the buttons work like air raise etc

Yep,slipped liner did for my v8 Disco,couldn't justify another motor on that age car seeing as all the second hand lumps are of a similar vintage and recon/new is big bucks
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.