Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sky Box Halps!  (Read 2166 times)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Sky Box Halps!
« on: 15 December 2015, 00:37:18 »

I've got one of the 2TB Sky+ HD thingy boxes. had it for bloody ages now

I used to use the RF2 output to feed a coax supply in the main bedroom using one of those MagicEye things.  For one reason or another, we've only used the bedroom TV for DTV for ages (and maybe a FireStick of some variety).  Anyway,  I tried the Sky tonight in the bedroom, and the picture is lovely, but all I get is hiss from the Audio.

I've gone to the living room, and run a coaxial cable direct from the RF2 output straight into the living room TV, and it does exactly the same thing.

Is the Sky Box Donald, or is there something I can do?  I've gone into the set-up screen (Services, 0, 0, 4) but there is no settings to change with regards to the Audio.

There is no Coaxial input to the Sky Box (Other than the twin LNB) and RF1 output is also not used.

Thoughts and advice please people of Omega World.  :)

EDIT:  Thsi is the back of the jabber

So, to re-iterate. 

Both Dish Inputs are used with good quality coax to the dish, all connections made by me, tested and are good.

Aerial in is vacant.

RF1 OUT is vacant.

RF2 (The powered one) is a coax running to the bedroom.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2015, 00:42:40 by Broomies Mate »
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Sky Box Halps!
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2015, 01:46:41 »

The Audio from the RF Out is incorporated as part of the Video Signal, so either your receiving TV is Donald'ed or the Sky Box RF Modulator output is playing up, my money would be the first option.

Do you have another TV to try, or video recorder you could tune to it to prove the point either way.

Failing that assuming you don't what the change or upgrade your setup, probably the easiest way would be to get some sort of wireless sender that works off the RGB / Scart connectors. Your get better Sound and Video from this option as well.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2015, 01:49:38 by zirk »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2015, 02:11:38 »

Cheers Zirk.  I've tried two different TV's, the one in the bedroom on the end of the 'length' of coax, and a fly lead direct from the Sky box to the TV sat less than 30cm from it.

I however, may have to put my tail between my legs. 

After a bit more research on the subject, it seems RF2 only outputs 'Audio' on PAL-I system, and not the PAL-B/G system that both of my (modern) LG TV's are factory set with.

I haven't managed to try it yet (she is in bed), but I'm quite sure when I switch it to PAL-I, all will be fine.

Since Analogue Terrestrial was switched off, PAL-I really hasn't existed, so manufacturers don't set the default to this anymore.

TL;DR - I am a Bellend.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2015, 09:23:29 »

Sounds like the TV isn't seeing the sound subcarrier. They can be on different frequencies for different regions. I'm not sure there are settings to configure that on the Sky box though. I don't recall seeing any. :-\

Have you tried the universal solution to cr@p Sky box problems? Disconnect it and let it reboot?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2015, 10:27:25 »

Nothing like a Sky box reboot  :D

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2015, 13:50:15 »

My sky box was playing up, going into standby when it felt like. I thought I'd ring and see if I could blag a new one. I was sent a 'reconditioned' one, an old samsung model. It's really clunky, takes an age to boot up and, when you press a button, say to change channels, it's takes about two seconds to respond.
My old one was much better. :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2015, 13:57:39 »

My sky box was playing up, going into standby when it felt like. I thought I'd ring and see if I could blag a new one. I was sent a 'reconditioned' one, an old samsung model. It's really clunky, takes an age to boot up and, when you press a button, say to change channels, it's takes about two seconds to respond.

Pull out the power cord, call up Sky and say it's dead, it won't turn on. Demand a new one rather than re-furb job.

Every install van carries shed loads of SkyHD boxes, we only do HD boxes now it would be easy to get brand spankers.  :y

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2015, 14:01:11 »

Pull out the power cord, call up Sky and say it's dead, it won't turn on. Demand a new one rather than re-furb job.

Every install van carries shed loads of SkyHD boxes, we only do HD boxes now it would be easy to get brand spankers.  :y
Won't they realise I've been telling porkies when they get it back?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2015, 14:08:02 »

Did they take your previous old one back? Be surprised if they do...

I did the same for GrampaT when he was on Virgin Media some years ago. Unpluged it, ring up, you go through the motions.

Virgin: "Check the plug sir"

-Put down phone, take bite of a Mars Bar

- Pick phone up "still broken"

Virgin: "Hold front button down and menu button for 10 seconds, then plug cord back in"

- Finish eating Mars bar.

In that case sir we will send you a new set top box.

New one arrived in post a few days later  :y

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2015, 14:10:07 »

Did they take your previous old one back? Be surprised if they do...

I did the same for GrampaT when he was on Virgin Media some years ago. Unpluged it, ring up, you go through the motions.

Virgin: "Check the plug sir"

-Put down phone, take bite of a Mars Bar

Virgin: "Hold front button down and menu button for 10 seconds, then plug cord back in"

- Finish eating Mars bar.

In that case sir we will send you a new set top box.

New one arrived in post a few days later  :y
They sent this one with DHL (or similar) with instructions to the driver not to drop the 'new' one until he had the old one.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2015, 10:31:53 »

Still can do a swap out though, if "new" box is not up to scratch. Complain  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.