Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home carers for the elderly  (Read 1160 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Home carers for the elderly
« on: 25 January 2016, 16:30:16 »

We have had some mixed experiences with quality of home carers for our elderly family members. Some have been above excellent and others are pretty poor.

We are currently having problems with a poor set from a large company. In fact they are the only providers in the rural village. The cost and dead time spent driving is an issue for other providers plus they can't recruit the right people.

Mrs V originally had a meeting with the manager of the care company with the elderly person present and agreed a pattern, call duration and what was to be done on each visit. That list is on a laminated sheet , copies are dotted around the house. So the carer arrives (sometimes wildly late or early and I can understand that) and then they proceed to do what they think needs doing. Result is they leave having not done what is on the list. We go back to the manager and he/she wrings their hands and says we will get onto it and lo and behold it keeps happening. The manager even says we can't get good people do you know anyone? What is particularly galling is in this case the old person is self funding i.e. paying for these 3 soon to be four visits a day.

As far as I can see there isn't a regulator and further complaining might result in them saying sorry can't do you anymore.

It doesn't bode well for the future as more and more people get older. I read that 50% of folk over 75 live alone.

Anybody else have carer problems?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Home carers for the elderly
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2016, 16:56:40 »

We tried live in carers for my Nan a few years ago with mixed results.  ::)

Some were lovely, some indifferent, some very poor and one memorable one who emptied Nan's drinks cabinet and purse!   :o   >:(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2016, 17:06:24 »

Live in? What sort of approximate cost does that incur.?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2016, 17:18:26 »

I don't know to be honest it was over 10 years ago and my Mum and Aunt organised it all.  :)  It worked fairly well for a while though and meant that Nan could stay in her own home for a bit longer, which of course she was determined to do!  :y

The main issue was that there was no continuity with the carers.  ::)  As soon as Nan got to know someone they'd leave and she had to get used to another stranger in her house. :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2016, 18:09:14 »

I'm curious which large company are you dealing with?

parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2016, 18:18:36 »

I must say I think when Maureen was in need of carers we possibly dropped on lucky.The company we used{a local one]were very good.O.K.on the odd occasion they were a couple of minutes late arriving,but this was perhaps understandable given the nature of their business,but all in all I couldn't fault them.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2016, 22:09:03 »

We hired privately the 2 carers that my parents liked most and it worked very well. They were able to work this in with their work for a large company.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.