Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carer costs  (Read 1310 times)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Carer costs
« on: 12 February 2016, 19:44:48 »

:( Looks like my Mother is going to need some carers to come to the house , has anyone any experience of home carers and the sort of money involved ? , sadly, as she has some savings she'll probably have to pay the full cost

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
Re: Carer costs
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2016, 19:46:44 »

IF she is claiming Disability Benefit or PIP as its now known and it is at the top rate she will be entitled to a carer at no cost.... HTH
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2016, 20:01:10 »

My mother in law gets attendance allowance, and has carers in three times a day, and her cost is £252 a month. She lives in warden !!!!!!! controlled property.
I had to fill in a 'means test' form for her, requiring details of all assets, benefits, etc.
What you pay, is for what care package you have, it will differ in all cases. :y
Mother in law is nearly 96, rapidly losing her sight, losing her hearing, and not too mobile now. Carers do as least as possible, and swmbo has complained at level of care given to what is being paid for. Some carers have been changed, and complaints acted upon :y
Once you have got it sorted, monitor it closely, its your mothers right, you are paying. ;)

I should say that this is Social Care.....private care is a different price/package and can cost a lot of money.
When I checked a home care package for my mum when she was alive, the price worked out about the same as Care home self funding prices, which in our case was £3,300 per month !!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 12 February 2016, 20:05:20 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2016, 20:01:58 »

IF she is claiming Disability Benefit or PIP as its now known and it is at the top rate she will be entitled to a carer at no cost.... HTH
:( I think her savings will mean she has to pay for it , any idea of the limit she can have ?

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2016, 20:07:46 »

In mum's case, Social care did not click in until she had reduced her 'savings' to £23,250. This is the present limit. However, each case is separate, and the figures quoted applied to mum, as she had a few quid in the bank. :y
There is a lot of information out there, if you google for it.
If Social home care has the same limits, savings limit is £23,250. after which Social kicks in, taking pension, and £1, for every £250 down to £14,250, which amounts to £36, and they have to give back about £30 as 'spending money'. When and if the savings go down to £14,250, the price scale changes, and I believe all they can then take is pension.  :y
As mum was getting two pensions worth approx. £1000 per month, that's what Social took.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2016, 20:20:47 by terbert »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2016, 20:24:50 »

yes loads of experience. Some good some not so good.

Have a look at attendance allowance eligibility for a start. There are two levels. Here is an explanation from Age UK. You get to spend it how you see fit.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/attendance-allowance/what-is-attendance-allowance/

I'll come back to you with a typical hourly rate in the Midlands.

There is loads of help and advice available and I would recommend doing research and popping into somewhere like Red Cross or help the Aged ( they call themselves AGE UK now). They deal with these issues day in and day out so help you avoid mistakes. They will also be able to help with advice on mobility aids and simple things that help day to day living that you may not be aware of. Things like Commodes, seats for bath, having a ramp put in, walking frames, dosset boxes for each days medication.

When you get carers , I would suggest you make a laminated list of jobs to be done otherwise the carer just comes for the 45 minutes (if that is what you go for) and does what they think needs doing. Your list for first call might be help with personal wash, getting dressed, putting support stockings on, open curtains, empty commode, make breakfast and make a flask of tea and put beside chair.

If your mother lives in a rural area don't be surprised if you find it difficult to get a company to take her on. The carers don't get paid for travelling. A good company will send the manager or rep out to meet you and your mother to talk about what they do, how much and how many visits you need and so on.

Last thing is that it is in everyones interests for care in the home to work. No one wants your Mum in hospital from say a fall because she couldn't manage to open her own curtains (for example). So Social Services have a vested interest and do help but in my experience are overwhelmed in cases. If the individual has a medical condition e.g. had a stroke then they should automatically be assessed by social services and then be on their radar. That is a good thing. In that case they do a six weeks with their own "team" of carers before agreeing with you to hand over to different carers. The person might never recover or might make a good recovery. The point is the social services know about the person.

More here on that http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/help-at-home/paying-for-care-and-support-at-home/

One last thing, our olds are of the generation that ticked a box- no fuss, we can manage. If that is the case be there when things are being discussed/agreed.

PS now might also be a good time to have a look at Power of Attorney for Health and Finance matters.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2016, 23:43:35 »

What Varche said :y
He has given a bit more in depth to what I gave as general.
POA is an advantage....bit of a pain with getting it, as you have to inform a 'tier of relations' that you are applying. As an example, you need to advise three relations of your intensions. However, if your mum has ten sisters, you have to notify all of them !!!!! Load of beaurcratic twaddle, and it will cost you £130 for the priviledge.
But......on saying that.....having POA for mum was the best thing we did :y Being able to manage her accounts online was invaluable. We have POA on the mother in law too. Also me and swmbo have Enduring POA on each other, as these were done before 2007 and the rules changed, and they became Lasting Power of Attorney.
On the whole, dealing with Social Services with the mother in law has been a good experience, to use those words. Most helpful. Even today, I took a call for the wife from Social, all about making her mums life better, etc.
That reminds me, I have to de register mums POA now she has passed away.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2016, 18:03:46 »

Typical Midlands carer cost is £15 per hour through a care company. You might get someone to do it cheaper off their own bat but you have to think about sickness and holiday cover.

So if you have 45 mins a.m., 30 mins middle of day and 45 mins later then £30 a day, £210 a week.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2016, 21:37:37 »

Thanks for all the replies gents , sadly as my mother is as tight as a ducks a**e trying to get her to pay is going to be a hard slog

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2016, 22:09:15 »

That is the problem. They are of the make do and mend generation not our children's use and throw away. They cannot take the money away with them when they are gone. All you can do is chip away at her reticence. I wish you luck.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2016, 22:22:17 »

We were lucky in finding one solid carer who brought in others privately  - cost about £150 a week for 3 visits a day and inclusive of 2 hours per week cleaning and dealing with shopping which we did on line. After my father died and mum went into care home I kept this carer on at £20 a week  to visit my mum in care home (we live 210 miles away) twice a week and keep an eye on house up there. Now 3 years on but it gives my mum continuity.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.