Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for the experts  (Read 2445 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Question for the experts
« on: 30 October 2016, 08:03:41 »

A mate of mine read something off the internet regarding a Vx 6 speed gearbox-I think it was a MT something or other can't remember the numbers which followed-this company claimed to be able to rebuild said box using new bearings,seals,gaskets etc for less cost than usual as they'd worked out a way to do it without taking the box off the vehicle.Now it is many many years since I last stripped and rebuilt a gearbox[it was from a V4 Transit!] but I just don't see how you can  strip/rebuild a gearbox while it's still in situ.So any experts on here who can enlighten me? Can it be done in this way?

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the experts
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2016, 08:19:13 »

A mate of mine read something off the internet regarding a Vx 6 speed gearbox-I think it was a MT something or other can't remember the numbers which followed-this company claimed to be able to rebuild said box using new bearings,seals,gaskets etc for less cost than usual as they'd worked out a way to do it without taking the box off the vehicle.Now it is many many years since I last stripped and rebuilt a gearbox[it was from a V4 Transit!] but I just don't see how you can  strip/rebuild a gearbox while it's still in situ.So any experts on here who can enlighten me? Can it be done in this way?

I don't really understand the cost saving - getting a gearbox off isn't fairly easy but working on one in place must be impossible / total nightmare.....
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2016, 08:24:44 »

I am bemused, too!
The only gearbox Ihave ever had apart was a Burman box from my old Panther motorbike and even that was complex enough for this amateur, but I simply cannot see that it could be cost-effective, even if this bloke were clever enough, to do it in situ.
As we all know, the major part of workshop costs is labour time, and it surely must take longer and be more awkward to try to jiggle things about from underneath the car whilst it is on the ramp than to dismantle it with the gearbox on the workbench?
I also await more expert opinion.....

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2016, 08:47:07 »

Hypothetically, you remove the rear cover and pull everything out that way...

Can't see it working too well on front wheel drive cars, but a bit more viable on rear wheel drive... not sure that I  would fancy rebuilding it in situ though ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2016, 11:27:21 »

I am bemused, too!
The only gearbox Ihave ever had apart was a Burman box from my old Panther motorbike and even that was complex enough for this amateur, but I simply cannot see that it could be cost-effective, even if this bloke were clever enough, to do it in situ.
As we all know, the major part of workshop costs is labour time, and it surely must take longer and be more awkward to try to jiggle things about from underneath the car whilst it is on the ramp than to dismantle it with the gearbox on the workbench?
I also await more expert opinion.....

Ron.

Strewth, Bigron...... You must date back to the dawn of time. ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2016, 13:43:00 »

Doctor Opti, considering how many parts of me seem to be reminding me of that fact, I think you are right! However, in my defence, I bought one of the last models that were made when Phelon & Moore went into liquidation and sold their remaining stock through George Clarke in Brixton, south London - memories, anyone?
That bike nearly broke my ankle when, one sleepy morning, I forgot to engage the half-compression lever (650cc single cylinder, if you didn't know) and kick-started it: it kicked back, and I limped back upstairs to bed, no work for me that day!

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2016, 13:54:11 »

Doctor Opti, considering how many parts of me seem to be reminding me of that fact, I think you are right! However, in my defence, I bought one of the last models that were made when Phelon & Moore went into liquidation and sold their remaining stock through George Clarke in Brixton, south London - memories, anyone?
That bike nearly broke my ankle when, one sleepy morning, I forgot to engage the half-compression lever (650cc single cylinder, if you didn't know) and kick-started it: it kicked back, and I limped back upstairs to bed, no work for me that day!

Ron.

Silky smooth and vibe free then. ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2016, 18:40:13 »

I get nothing but rudeness on here, ever since I owned up to once owning a Wartburg!
Still, you do get a better class of insult here..... 8)

Ron.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2016, 12:52:05 »

Its the M32 FWD box, quite involved to remove  (subframe off etc) and can be very effectively re-built in situ (but you have to lower the subframe a slightly).

Once the cover is off you can remove the 3 shafts easily enough to the bench for work and the hardest part is the bearing shells in the bit left on the car.

Similarly the diff is easily removed

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 November 2016, 14:48:37 »

I suppose its the same principle as the old Hewland gearboxes found on most racing cars years ago. A place could be unbolted from the rear of the unit and the internals changed around in a short space of time.
Drivers would have a sudden change of mind about a particular ratio as they were about to line up on the grid and a mechanic could change it in no time.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2016, 18:48:11 »

Its the M32 FWD box, quite involved to remove  (subframe off etc) and can be very effectively re-built in situ (but you have to lower the subframe a slightly).

Once the cover is off you can remove the 3 shafts easily enough to the bench for work and the hardest part is the bearing shells in the bit left on the car.

Presumably once the end cover and internals are removed, the casing drops out through the subframe easily enough:-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 November 2016, 18:50:51 »

The M32 yes that's the letters/numbers I wasn't sure of.A mate of mine is going to be on with doing his[on an Insignia]this weekend.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 November 2016, 11:41:34 »

Presumably once the end cover and internals are removed, the casing drops out through the subframe easily enough:-\

Main casing stays put, the rotating bits are removed.  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 November 2016, 15:59:04 »

Ron.

and didn't they just sound superb. :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.