Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote hacking of keyless ignition keyfobs  (Read 865 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Remote hacking of keyless ignition keyfobs
« on: 20 April 2017, 15:16:52 »

Keyless ignition systems seem to use a car to keyfob radio signal handshake so the keyfob inside your house can be remotely hacked from the outside! >:( >:( >:(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4427902/High-tech-radio-trick-used-steal-range-cars.html

I assume from the article that when given any code your car responds with a code return. This is captured and re-transmitted with a high enough signal for the keyfob to return a valid onetime code which is captured and when in range used to open your car. I can't see how this system in these circumstances can ever be secure. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Remote hacking of keyless ignition keyfobs
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2017, 15:37:35 »

The ever-present tradeoff between convenience and security. Having to press a button on the fob was just too hard, so now you have to keep it in a lead-lined safe for it to be secure. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2017, 17:52:34 »

Pretty much all remote locking fobs were hacked years ago. Including rolling code type. Pre 2014 VAGs are especially trivial, much to annoyance of my smug looking Audi mates, who get REALLY pissed when you keep unlocking their cars ;D
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2017, 18:37:07 »

They're just bloody keys! A traditional mechanical lock can be defeated by several mechanical means and some practice; we just accept that.

Why is it such a shock that electronic locks can be defeated with some electronic kit?

And I don't buy into the now anyone can buy the gear to do it argument either, because lockpicks are hardly expensive/difficult to improvise.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2017, 18:58:00 »

Pretty much all remote locking fobs were hacked years ago. Including rolling code type. Pre 2014 VAGs are especially trivial, much to annoyance of my smug looking Audi mates, who get REALLY pissed when you keep unlocking their cars ;D

Indeed. When you have a tiny 8 bit uP on the remote, it's a bit of a struggle to implement something that can't be cracked in seconds by an ordinary laptop, assuming you even have to go that far. Witness the whole IoT security debacle. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.