Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Single pole or double pole?  (Read 4630 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Single pole or double pole?
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2017, 13:26:24 »

I've often looked at those sockets with the USB point, but it never occurred to me that they would always be 'on' and consuming energy.  :(

Not much I assume, but why waste energy?  ::)  ;)

Electricity in 'Dawsett'.......whatever next? ::) ::) ;)

Yes it's starting to make an appearance.....

Trouble is I can't really afford to use it.  Rural poverty is a terrible thing M'lud!  ::)  :'(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2017, 13:27:59 »

I've often looked at those sockets with the USB point, but it never occurred to me that they would always be 'on' and consuming energy.  :(

But most of us leave TV's and other devices on stand-by without a minute's thought.  Those that know these things reckon on average it costs a household £60 per year; Just over £1 per week.  Can never say that bothers me, as in the scheme of things what is that; is it worth the worry? :D :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2017, 13:30:24 »

Electricity in 'Dawsett'.......whatever next? ::) ::) ;)

Yes it's starting to make an appearance.....

Trouble is I can't really afford to use it.  Rural poverty is a terrible thing M'lud!  ::)  :'(

Just get your butler to shovel more coal into the steam generator, or the lower household staff to peddle harder! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2017, 13:31:17 »

But most of us leave TV's and other devices on stand-by without a minute's thought.  Those that know these things reckon on average it costs a household £60 per year; Just over £1 per week.  Can never say that bothers me, as in the scheme of things what is that; is it worth the worry? :D :D ;)

I never leave things on standby, always turn them off in my one man crusade to save the planet!  :P  ::)  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2017, 13:34:40 »

I never leave things on standby, always turn them off in my one man crusade to save the planet!  :P  ::)  ;D

Admirable Sir Tigger.  But last month 50% of our power was created by renewable's so is saving the planet still applicable?  Not sure myself now, but I suppose it is 50% true! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 10 June 2017, 13:45:38 »

No. You're a tight bastard.  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 June 2017, 13:49:49 »

No. You're a tight bastard.  :)

That as well.  ;D

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 June 2017, 14:13:38 »

The usb charger versions are like a standard socket with the switches on them only turning off the relevant 13a plug outlet .be it a single pole version or double. But the usb bit is permanently on .powered by a very small built in transformer.all transformers get warm even when not connected to a load so in theory you have a little heating unit sat inside your wall permanently running.personally i dont like this idea and dont like fitting them.they should be safe especially from a good known make but certainly cant comment on unknown cheap brands ? But dont like the idea myself nontheless.im an electricial/ engineer of old school design !

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 June 2017, 16:57:39 »

We have a few of these USB sockets fitted, I didn't really think about the energy wastage, but then again we live in an old house with single glazed sashes. So worrying about the USB ports is like pi$$ing into the wind  ;D.

As for the safety aspect, I think with a modern consumer unit and picking ones of good make, the risk is minimal.

In our case, the consumer unit trips of a spider so much as farts near it so I reckon we're pretty safe  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2017, 17:40:33 »

Our telly doesn't have an off switch, stand-by is the only option

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2017, 18:43:06 »

Our telly doesn't have an off switch, stand-by is the only option
Nor ours, goes off by the switch (single pole)  ;D

Lincs Robert

« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2017, 18:46:56 »

The usb charger versions are like a standard socket with the switches on them only turning off the relevant 13a plug outlet .be it a single pole version or double. But the usb bit is permanently on .powered by a very small built in transformer.all transformers get warm even when not connected to a load so in theory you have a little heating unit sat inside your wall permanently running.personally i dont like this idea and dont like fitting them.they should be safe especially from a good known make but certainly cant comment on unknown cheap brands ? But dont like the idea myself nontheless.im an electricial/ engineer of old school design !

They don't use transformers - they use SMPS - switched mode power technology. I agree that using a reputable make such as MK is a must, but would you leave a laptop power supply brick left plugged in & running all the time? As this is what we are talking about doing here. Same issue with a tv on standby - you can always switch it off at the socket or even unplug if you want. These USB socket jobbies can't be switched off.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.