Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bangernomics question.  (Read 2187 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Bangernomics question.
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2021, 20:19:41 »

Let's say you have an older car, say 20/21 years old with around 85k on it and it's a ten footer... with the only notable rust being the front wings.

Would spending £150-200 on a pair of rust free wings bring an increase in value?

It stands to reason that it will make it an easier sell, but would it actually add, say £500, to make it worthwhile?  :-\

Err, was dat then? :-[

One that has no distinguishing features from 10 feet away. Those features could be dents, rust, scratches, missing parts and/or perfect paint and alignment, shiny chrome, fancy wheels etc.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2021, 20:35:03 »

Let's say you have an older car, say 20/21 years old with around 85k on it and it's a ten footer... with the only notable rust being the front wings.

Would spending £150-200 on a pair of rust free wings bring an increase in value?

It stands to reason that it will make it an easier sell, but would it actually add, say £500, to make it worthwhile?  :-\

One that has no distinguishing features from 10 feet away. Those features could be dents, rust, scratches, missing parts and/or perfect paint and alignment, shiny chrome, fancy wheels etc.

You can see the Mercedes badge from 10 foot, though  :(
 ;D
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 December 2021, 20:56:02 »

Thanks for that Nick :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 December 2021, 21:04:35 »

It makes no sense, really, people tend to get closer than ten foot when buying a car.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 December 2021, 21:08:55 »

My car is a fifty footer, btw  ;D
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 December 2021, 21:22:12 »

It makes no sense, really, people tend to get closer than ten foot when buying a car.

Really?

So you've never driven 100miles, looked at the prospective buy and driven away without even getting out of the car? That was thirty years ago and the car was a Fiat 131.

The same day we had looked at the first candidate on arrival and the close inspection showed that the ten foot inspection was a true and accurate representation of the rest of the car: it was the cheapest example we could find, but was still massively over priced. Mk1 Golf GTi.

I've done it the other way too; made a proper inspection of a car that looked far better than it had a right to. That's based on advice given to me years ago by an antique dealer friend: when you see recent refinishing you must ask yourself What are they trying to hide?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 December 2021, 21:27:19 »

;D

I wouldn't have even gone to look at a Mercedes. The ten footer designation could equally be described as your initial gut feeling about the car. House. Dog. Bar. Whatever.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 December 2021, 22:34:03 »

Looks decent from 10 feet away...

Significantly better than a fifty footer. In the dark. But not as nice as a garage queen.

Basically it's presentable but look closely and it is not perfect.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 December 2021, 13:04:48 »

Really?

So you've never driven 100miles, looked at the prospective buy and driven away without even getting out of the car? That was thirty years ago and the car was a Fiat 131.

The same day we had looked at the first candidate on arrival and the close inspection showed that the ten foot inspection was a true and accurate representation of the rest of the car: it was the cheapest example we could find, but was still massively over priced. Mk1 Golf GTi.

I've done it the other way too; made a proper inspection of a car that looked far better than it had a right to. That's based on advice given to me years ago by an antique dealer friend: when you see recent refinishing you must ask yourself What are they trying to hide?

My old dad had the model before the 131 Mirafiori.

It was the 125S which came with a 1600cc twin cam engine 5 speed box and 100 BHP. Not bad for 1970. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 December 2021, 13:22:20 »

Really?

My old dad had the model before the 131 Mirafiori.

It was the 125S which came with a 1600cc twin cam engine 5 speed box and 100 BHP. Not bad for 1970. :y

This was a sport: 2 door, 2 litre, faded black paint and red velour, no floors. We could see the remains hanging below the sills from 10 feet away. That was in Guildford.

The Golf was in Bexley, and looked rough. It sounded worse, even allowing for it only running on 3 cylinders.

I don't remember why Ian didn't buy the car in Croydon, which suggests that it was just poor ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 December 2021, 16:40:47 »

;D

I wouldn't have even gone to look at a Mercedes. The ten footer designation could equally be described as your initial gut feeling about the car. House. Dog. Bar. Whatever.
To be fair, you would only be looking at a particular car if someone had asked you or you were interested in buying it.

Seeing one driving down the road and thinking 'that looks tidy for a...' is a reasonable application of the 10ft test and it also serves as the first impression before a more detailed inspection.

Expectations should be set by the price point and MoT history before deciding to look at a potential purchase.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.