Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 919 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Electric Cars
« on: 04 April 2022, 17:13:36 »

Last year the journalist Ian Dale leased an Audi eTron GT. Nice looking car!  :y

He recently used it for the first time on a long journey.  Here's his account of the trip.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Cars
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2022, 17:30:40 »

Drat! I was thinking of buying one and relying on the three public charging points in Barnsley.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2022, 17:45:09 »

I was at Sedgemoor Services on the M5 southbound the other day, where there are 4 charging points.

There was a bloke backing into one of the spaces but making a right meal of it.  As I walked by I saw that the car parked in the bay next had parked really badly and the bloke was determined to squeeze into the space so he could plug in.

He eventually got it in leaving a waffer thin gap between the nearside of his car and the drivers side of the other.  I would have loved to have seen the other driver turn up and have to crawl across the passenger seat to get into his car!  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2022, 17:54:31 »

Two houses and he's not virtue signalling? As long as you can get fuel ::) petrol and diesel cars will retain their values BECAUSE YOU won't be able to buy them, a pretty straightforward supply/demand thing. EVs on the other hand will always be stupidly expensive because of the materials required to produce various components and cheap electricity is fast going the way of 70ppl fuel. And leasing them will only hold the new cost up because they will depreciate heavily until the battery life is demonstrably proven.

Fortunately, motorway services seem to have found away to overcharge for electricity as well as everything else, so at least that's stable.

And don't expect any sympathy over range anxiety because you can't drive to your second home.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2022, 00:13:03 »

He recently used it for the first time on a long journey.  Here's his account of the trip.  ::)

A quick look on Zap Map - which he claims he has - indicates he drove past 17 chargers directly along his route from London to Beverley via Howden (by directly I mean they were actually on the google maps route) which would have charged him at 100kw or more. There are also half a dozen 100kw+ chargers within a couple of miles of Beverley, which he apparently didn't fancy.

There are also 14 100kw chargers on the route between Beverley and Great Yarmouth (He doesn't say where he's going in Norfolk so I just picked somewhere). That includes 5 350kw chargers that would give an 80% charge in 20-30mins max.

In short, if you a) don't know how your car works and b) make up a load of absolute b0llocks, yes, EVs are hugely difficult to live with.  ::). Still, no one wants to hear about some virtue signalling gimp who easily drove his £120k car up and down the A1 in ease and comfort do they...
« Last Edit: 05 April 2022, 00:14:46 by Viral_Jim »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2022, 10:13:12 »

A quick look on Zap Map - which he claims he has - indicates he drove past 17 chargers directly along his route from London to Beverley via Howden (by directly I mean they were actually on the google maps route) which would have charged him at 100kw or more. There are also half a dozen 100kw+ chargers within a couple of miles of Beverley, which he apparently didn't fancy.

There are also 14 100kw chargers on the route between Beverley and Great Yarmouth (He doesn't say where he's going in Norfolk so I just picked somewhere). That includes 5 350kw chargers that would give an 80% charge in 20-30mins max.

In short, if you a) don't know how your car works and b) make up a load of absolute b0llocks, yes, EVs are hugely difficult to live with.  ::). Still, no one wants to hear about some virtue signalling gimp who easily drove his £120k car up and down the A1 in ease and comfort do they...

No not really.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2022, 13:14:17 »

Last year the journalist Ian Dale leased an Audi eTron GT. Nice looking car!  :y

Nice looking car. :y

Just need a grunty V8 or V10. :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2022, 15:31:45 »

I have been watching Vintage Voltage and wondering if we will ever see an Omega conversion, Tesla 450 BHP lump and a few batterys bolted in.  ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2022, 17:14:01 »

I have been watching Vintage Voltage and wondering if we will ever see an Omega conversion, Tesla 450 BHP lump and a few batterys bolted in.  ::)
There'd be no metal left to bolt the batteries to.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2022, 17:37:58 »

Nice looking car. :y

Just need a grunty V8 or V10. :y

Just don't mention a V12 they're shit..😂😂😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.