Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flymaybe, Flymaybe not...  (Read 541 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Flymaybe, Flymaybe not...
« on: 28 January 2023, 23:20:29 »

Onanists always think outside the box.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: Flymaybe, Flymaybe not...
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2023, 00:16:58 »

Flying is too cheap. Back in the 80s & 90s I used to travel a lot, particularly to the USA.

Since then with inflation etc pretty much everything has increased significantly in price, just compare most 80's prices with today. But not air fares, very little difference. It's not good business sense. People expect to fly across the World for peanuts, and get free food, drink, baggage etc. It's quite ridiculous that flying is often cheaper than taking the train. And, the airline industry can say what it likes, flying aluminium tubes around at 37,000ft burning tons of aviation fuel is NOT eco friendly.

Yes I fly, and I'm just as tight arsed as anyone else. But let's not be surprised when companies go bust.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Flymaybe, Flymaybe not...
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2023, 01:17:21 »

It isn't as cheap as it used to be, and you don't get anything like the things you used to, unless you pay proper money.

Fuel burn per passenger is on a par with a family car with four people in it.

You can question whether you need to fly somewhere, but when flights are typically full, there is clearly a demand.

I think Flybes problem was that it was competing, if only on price, with National Express, Megabus and rail companies, but that's the market they aimed at, but combined with the costs of restarting following the previous collapse and the current economic climate, it was always going to be a gamble.

Be interesting to see if BA or Easyjet pick up the pieces. Certainly it would fall somewhere between BA City Flyer and BA Euroflyer operations and there's some Fleet commonality with City Flyer... 🤔
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 18 queries.