Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Got scammed on ebay  (Read 1520 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Got scammed on ebay
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2009, 18:21:40 »

I feel for you..not been scammed like that though.  Paypal is a sod like that though - even an instant payment isn't that if you want the cash in your bank first.

Bit late after the event, but for anything of value (over say £100) then i'd ask for a Paypal deposit and the rest COC.  I did make one guy wait until the money had entered my bank account (even given the extortionate fees) before i sent it.

I've also got a bank account with sod all in it which i've got money transferred into (then promptly withdrawn in) - no fees involved!
remember that paypal are a clearing house, and as a seller, you use them as a merchant.  If a transaction gets a chargeback from buyers bank/card, Paypal (like any other merchant) will take the money back from you. That is their right.  So ensuring its in your bank account is NOT protection.
Grumpy old man

philhoward

• Staffs
  • Love the engines, so put one in something else..
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2009, 18:39:42 »

Thats why i go for either pound notes or electronic transfer into a bank account these days..

As for cars, bought a few, sold a few, had a couple of bad buys but they were priced accordingly and hey - they're old cars so its a risk.  Only had one problem selling and that was a car which threw a brake pad a week later; i was in the clear legally, but offered (and paid) the cost of new pads anyway.

Have never paid up full in front for anything i intend to collect..just in case.  Bought a Subaru Legacy with a fresh MoT - only to find the side not pictured was stoved in and how it passed on brake efficiency (plus ABS light came on as soon as you moved) i'll never know.  By the time I got home to leave negative feedback, the seller was "no longer a registered user on ebay"..said it all in that case.

Account hacking is another issue though - and sadly with internet based companies, its the users responsibility that their account stays secure.  I've had a few buys from the 7 year old son after Daddy left his account logged in..
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...

stuart30

« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2009, 19:16:02 »

I offered a laptop for sale on ebay this week.
How many times do I have to keep banging on about this  :-?

Never, ever, ever, ever deal in high value electronic goods (mobiles, laptops, pdas) on ebay.  You WILL get hit.

I'm sorry to be bearer of bad news, but you have lost your laptop with little chance of seeing it or your money.

Ebays rules are not much different from selling laws, which are all heavily biased towards buyer/consumer. As a seller on ebay, you're treated as if you were a business outside of ebay - ie, hardly any rights (actually, ebay are a little better than that).

I sincerely hope that people learn from your mistake, though seeing as I keep repeating myself, I guess they won't  :'(

I disagree...Ebay is a great selling tool.

Its important that you common sense...ive sold plenty and recieved paypal payments,simply wait a few days before sending the item...that way any fraudulent use should be picked up on.

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2009, 19:19:09 »

Its not just sellers who get hit. A bunch of 3 auctions recently, 1 a PDA for an Xmas present never arrived, lots of excuses, fake PO tracking noes etc, next a "tested" Nebula freeview card, that works, but just doesn't tune into anything, and another PDA that arrived with a password  :'(

I feel its the untraceability that is the problem. If you paid by cheque, you had a name and  address so you could take the person to court if necessary. With Ebay's current strategy, you might get a post code but thats it.

Oh yes, I got a refund for the first PDA, but it came from someone else rather than the supposed seller ? :-/

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2009, 19:26:41 »

I offered a laptop for sale on ebay this week.
How many times do I have to keep banging on about this  :-?

Never, ever, ever, ever deal in high value electronic goods (mobiles, laptops, pdas) on ebay.  You WILL get hit.

I'm sorry to be bearer of bad news, but you have lost your laptop with little chance of seeing it or your money.

Ebays rules are not much different from selling laws, which are all heavily biased towards buyer/consumer. As a seller on ebay, you're treated as if you were a business outside of ebay - ie, hardly any rights (actually, ebay are a little better than that).

I sincerely hope that people learn from your mistake, though seeing as I keep repeating myself, I guess they won't  :'(

I disagree...Ebay is a great selling tool.

Its important that you common sense...ive sold plenty and recieved paypal payments,simply wait a few days before sending the item...that way any fraudulent use should be picked up on.
I have seen the chargebacks 3 or 4 months later.  A few days isn't enough if that is your only line of defence....
Grumpy old man

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 February 2009, 17:24:55 »

I only ever take cash on collection, or post upon paypal clearance (5 days later)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 February 2009, 17:47:04 »

I only ever take cash on collection, or post upon paypal clearance (5 days later)
thats no protection, the chargeback can happen months later...
Grumpy old man

bumbles5

• margate kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2009, 10:07:01 »

I have used ebay for a few years now as a buyer and a seller touch wood I have not had any bad experiences , If we are buying cars or selling them then it is cash on collection only. I bought my daughter a laptop and paid the money straight into the guys account but i had his address etc just in case but it was fine. I do agree with the fact that sellers are not treated properly I mean it is wrong that sellers can not leave negative feedback for buyers
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.