Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Busy weekend  (Read 1319 times)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Busy weekend
« on: 22 January 2007, 00:42:42 »

Had a busy but satisfying weekend - in between all the usual stuff expected from SWMBO  :-X

First of all had a go at changing the fuel filter. Looked straight forward enough but I had seen many posts to the contrary!! Indeed, turned into a bit of a nightmare. The 'correct' Vx tool for removing those retaining clips must be a real bonus but like everyone else I just struggled on, muttering under my breath.............. Anyway finally got the clips off and fitted the new filter, including new clips, and this appeared to go smoothly. Started the engine and within two seconds, bang! The clip holding the pipe to the engine had come loose, or not been fitted correctly  :-[  Although I thought it had clicked into place, it had not. And try as I might I still couldn't get it to do so. In the end I had to remove the old clip from the original filter and use it instead. Thankfully I had not broken it  :)  And that was that - all's well that ends well  8-)

Today I did the oil and filter. Nothing strange there I guess, as I have done it before, though only once myself. I just wanted to say that now I know where the engine number is stamped on my car, and I guess it's probably the same for all Omegas. Can't believe I didn't notice it before, but the reason for my excitement is this - I took the car to a 'recommended' Vx dealer about 18mths ago with a small problem. The head mechanic asked for the engine number which was on a sticker attached to the cambelt cover. A sticker - unbelieveable!!  :o Anyway the sticker was coming off and he told me that if I had lost the sticker then I would never be able to tell the engine number of the car. I thought that was strange, but this was in my days of pre-enlightenment and OOF. (I promptly wrote it down in about five places.) Surely though, as head mechanic, who must have carried out several oil and filter changes, he would have known that the engine number was stamped adjacent ish to the filter. Maybe he was just having a go at me, but I didn't know any better, until today. Made me smile  :)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Busy weekend
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2007, 00:50:51 »

Well done on a job well done.

As to the engine number thing and the VX Head mechanic, it really tends to prove a point.   The higher up the tree you get, then the less probable that you know what your staff are actually seing and doing or the more removed from reality you become!

Keep on using the forum - goodness knows how much other cash you can be saving in weeks to come.....     :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2007, 00:58:38 »

Oh I'm here to stay pal, don't worry about that!  :y

I would never have attempted any kind of work on the car without OOF and it's members, and can't thank everyone enough for making the forum what it is - superb!  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2007, 09:53:17 »

Good weekend :y

Simple thinks like regular filter and oil changes will do no end of good for your car :)
Grumpy old man

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2007, 22:00:40 »

Job well done :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2007, 23:34:44 »

I didn't know Vx did a special tool - although they do employ a few  ;)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2007, 23:42:34 »

Well done m8  :y

I did an oil change on my Senator last weekend, first one i did on my own.

Its amazing how satisfying it can be!! I drove around in a car that i changed the oil on, not pay anyone to do but I did it.

Its a nice feeling  :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2007, 23:59:56 »

Couldn't agree with you more tunnie, it's really satisfying.  8-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.