Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand brake shoes  (Read 1288 times)

STMO123

Hand brake shoes
« on: 13 March 2007, 21:55:31 »

Just been reading Fin's post re h/brake shoes for MOT. Can someone explain just how the shoes wear so badly or become glazed. The h/brake shouldn't be applied until the vehicle is stationery, so ...........how?

The above excludes handbrake turns for all you boy racers.

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Re: Hand brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2007, 21:57:34 »

The only handbrake i've got is first gear :(

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2007, 21:59:59 »

If you and Pete got together you might be able to make one good car out of two ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2007, 22:01:44 »

If you and Pete got together you might be able to make one good car out of two ;D

Your joking arnt you Ive seen Doug use a spanner ;D
Retired

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2007, 22:03:08 »

Enough of this witty banter....the shoes....why?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2007, 00:08:21 »

Enough of this witty banter....the shoes....why?
In all the (13/14) years of Senator/Omega ownership I've never had the need to even see my hand-brake shoes.  ::) That's what P is for isn't it?!    ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2007, 08:10:00 »

Its a case of Please read the manual....(Read The F'ing Manual) that causes the problem....

It states that the handbrake should be applied lightly for a hundred yards or so every few months.... this keeps the inside of the drum face clean and the shoes de-glazed....

As for not using it because you have an auto.....words escape me......you need the handbrake for an MOT as an absolute minimum.....if you dont use it then you deserve to have to strip it down or risk a failure every year!

That and the thought of 1.7 ton placng constant load on the diff, prop and gearbox......

Use it or loose it.....it will seize if you dont.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2007, 08:18:18 »

As for not using it because you have an auto.....words escape me......you need the handbrake for an MOT as an absolute minimum.....if you dont use it then you deserve to have to strip it down or risk a failure every year! .....

Also in the 13 or 14 years of Senator/Omega ownership I've never had a failed MOT. My handbrake does get used occasionally, when parked on any reasonable hill and when someone else has put it on & I notice the red light 100 yds down the road!  ;D

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2007, 08:19:04 »

Its a case of Please read the manual....(Read The F'ing Manual) that causes the problem....

It states that the handbrake should be applied lightly for a hundred yards or so every few months.... this keeps the inside of the drum face clean and the shoes de-glazed....

As for not using it because you have an auto.....words escape me......you need the handbrake for an MOT as an absolute minimum.....if you dont use it then you deserve to have to strip it down or risk a failure every year!

That and the thought of 1.7 ton placng constant load on the diff, prop and gearbox......

Use it or loose it.....it will seize if you dont.
Interesting point about dragging the handbrake.  Never had a car with separate handbrake shoes.

The only time people use a parking brake in the states is a manual on a hill.  No one ever uses a parking brake in an auto, and when it's flat you just leave the car in gear in a manual.  I use the parking brake in the miggy on a hill, b/c nasty getting out of P if a heavy load on it.  The cars can certainly take it though.

Thankfully current style parking brakes are going the way of the dodo.  Now just part of the ABS system with a little button.  Less junk to maintain, and should be working on all 4 wheels.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2007, 08:25:08 »

Thankfully current style parking brakes are going the way of the dodo.  Now just part of the ABS system with a little button.  Less junk to maintain, and should be working on all 4 wheels.

I liked the foot operated parking brake we had on our Pontiac last summer, although it'd be difficult to use if you had 3 pedals. They also give less clutter between the seats
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.