Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tools required for LPG fitting  (Read 520 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Tools required for LPG fitting
« on: 16 November 2009, 11:01:46 »

What kind of tools will i need if i was to fit LPG DIY? As a few members will comment, my selection of tools in the garage is a bit limited, and not exactly errr 'organised'  ::)

I have the Halfords 150 peice set, which serves me very well. Usual range of screwdrivers, plyers and so on, but wondering what else i would need?

I don't really have a decent drill (but loads of cheap drill sets) is it worth investing in a battery or electric one?

feeutfo

Re: Tools required for LPG fitting
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2009, 11:25:09 »

hole cutters, i have 70odd mm one for the filler and smaller one(cant remember the size) for plastic inserts for fuel line through metal work. Your welcome to borrow.

Tap and die set for injector nozels. Drills. Oh, a long extension for the drill. Need long reach through a small opening to fix fuel lines to chassis behind donut bush area.

One of those lie on your back trolly things and a flat smooth drive to work on his handy. Safety glasses of some sort, you WILL get crap in your eye while your under there. Jack and stands. Lap top. I have a box of bits left over you can have he you need.

Feel free to pop round if you want a look at mine..... And pinch tools.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2009, 11:28:29 by chrisgixer »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2009, 11:39:54 »

hole cutters, i have 70odd mm one for the filler and smaller one(cant remember the size) for plastic inserts for fuel line through metal work. Your welcome to borrow.

Tap and die set for injector nozels. Drills. Oh, a long extension for the drill. Need long reach through a small opening to fix fuel lines to chassis behind donut bush area.

One of those lie on your back trolly things and a flat smooth drive to work on his handy. Safety glasses of some sort, you WILL get crap in your eye while your under there. Jack and stands. Lap top. I have a box of bits left over you can have he you need.

Feel free to pop round if you want a look at mine..... And pinch tools.

Cheers for that  :y

Might very well do that in the comming weeks, as i am still thinking donut tank is the best option for me.

Be interesting see it in the flesh  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2009, 12:26:40 »

ps. You will notice i havent mentioned any electrical tools. I find a Kevin Wood or similar is very good for that side of things. Thanks God for Kevin Wood. Cutting into the wiring loom by the ecu...... didnt fancy that much.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2009, 12:35:38 »

ps. You will notice i havent mentioned any electrical tools. I find a Kevin Wood or similar is very good for that side of things. Thanks God for Kevin Wood. Cutting into the wiring loom by the ecu...... didnt fancy that much.

Get yourself a cheap soldering iron and some bits of wire and start practicing, easy when you've had a go!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2009, 12:39:33 »

Neither do I, i think i have a spare James for all that kinda work  ::) - With a gas powered soldering iron on standby up the road  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2009, 13:15:37 »

Get yourself a cheap soldering iron and some bits of wire and start practicing, easy when you've had a go!
Your totally right. Santa's coming. I was trying to think of a little job or project to start on. Hacking the ecu plug about is no place for a first attempt.

Any recommendations for a soldering iron. They come in differant sizes do they? Or summat?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2009, 14:15:12 »

Your totally right. Santa's coming. I was trying to think of a little job or project to start on. Hacking the ecu plug about is no place for a first attempt.

Any recommendations for a soldering iron. They come in differant sizes do they? Or summat?

I always found wires a pain, i was impressed with TB's gas powered portable one

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2009, 14:30:19 »

Gas irons are OK in an emergency but that's all. I would trawl Ebay for a 2nd hand Weller station, TBH.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.