Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 2141 times)

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2010, 13:31:47 »

Not sure how vista works, but is there a keycode /licence sticker on the laptop, then would not a copy of Vista be able to be installed using your own code.

I would think you are correct, but we don't have any sort of Vista installation disc.  And I can't think of anyone I know who might have one - everyone hated it and "downgraded" to XP Pro.  Or they bought an Acer and never got one in the first place. :)
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2010, 13:34:30 »

acer dvd is just a standard setup disc, acer setup disc is from acer has all vista settigs and for all acers its 9gb disc coded and i need to put pass code in.

Sounds like we should have the disc then, but I don't remember seeing it, and it's not there now.  Mind you, my memory's a bit dodgy, and/or the lad could have lost it.

Ho hum. :(

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2010, 13:55:47 »

I would chance ringing Microsoft and asking them for help - forgive me if you've already done this - you never know, they may well be of assistance.

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2010, 14:14:19 »

I would chance ringing Microsoft and asking them for help - forgive me if you've already done this - you never know, they may well be of assistance.

Haven't done it yet, but he only returned last night, and it took us the best part of an hour to unload his car.  The contents of a student's room is now piled up in the hallway, blocking access to the living room and downstairs loo.  Priority has to be given to getting that lot clear, as the management has invited the rest of the coven a number of friends round for a take-away tomorrow. 

Another possibility would be to contact Acer. 

But the biggest problem is that the lad bought me the the latest Terry Pratchett for Fathers' Day.  He picked it up when he got home, and I won't get any sense out of him till he's finished it.   :(

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 July 2010, 15:13:17 »

Not sure how vista works, but is there a keycode /licence sticker on the laptop, then would not a copy of Vista be able to be installed using your own code.
I don't 'do' Acers but it's highly likely it will be an OEM key and need an OEM Vista CD to install from (possibly even a tailored Acer CD).

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 July 2010, 15:14:39 »

Haven't done it yet, but he only returned last night, and it took us the best part of an hour to unload his car.  The contents of a student's room is now piled up in the hallway, blocking access to the living room and downstairs loo.  Priority has to be given to getting that lot clear, as the management has invited the rest of the coven a number of friends round for a take-away tomorrow. 

But the biggest problem is that the lad bought me the the latest Terry Pratchett for Fathers' Day.  He picked it up when he got home, and I won't get any sense out of him till he's finished it.   :(
Methinks it's time you pulled up the deckchair and gave him an opportunity to become 'independent'. ;)
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 July 2010, 15:27:30 »

Methinks it's time you pulled up the deckchair and gave him an opportunity to become 'independent'. ;)

TBH, if he gets a job, I could do with the rent money.

I'll give him a few weeks - graduation is on 13th July, then we're off on holiday (he may come with) on 24th July, then it's his 21st birthday on 5th August.

6th August, he starts real life!

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 July 2010, 16:35:22 »

Acer laptops don't come with a recovery disc they use a recovery partition on the HD to restore to factory pre authorised state (so the key is unnecessary it's built into the restore).
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 July 2010, 16:50:42 »

Reboot, Hit F2 to get in the bios.
On the main settings screen ensure D2D Recovery is enabled then exit.
On start up hitting F11 should begin the recovery process.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 July 2010, 21:00:16 »

Simples .. and I've just done it for a friends laptop.

You can use any copy of Vista you like, as long as it has the same "version" as yours ... Vista Home basic or Vista Home Premium, just borrow one from a friend. As long as you use your own serial number, which should be on a sticker attached to the laptop, and also says which version you have (had) you are acting totally legaly.

So, get hold of a disc, set the system to boot from the CD, reformat the drive, install Vista, and you have a clean install, but may have a few missing drivers.

Using another system that is connected to t'internet, down load the drivers - usualy available from the makers site .. even if archived - copy to a memory stick and transfer to the laptop.

Once the laptop is running and has internet access you can , quite legally, and with no problems, "activate" it then do all the windows updates.

Takes a while but is very simple to do.

If you can't get hold of a Vista disk, I can loan you one .. just need to know which version.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2010, 21:01:54 by entwood »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 July 2010, 10:51:17 »

Brand new vista 32 bit. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/123052
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 July 2010, 11:38:52 »

Brand new vista 32 bit. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/123052

If you spend money on an OS then bypass Vista and go for W7 64bit.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173791

Only a £1 more exspensive  :y
« Last Edit: 02 July 2010, 11:39:33 by skruntie »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 18 queries.