Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Mechanics Magazine - May 2007  (Read 856 times)

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Car Mechanics Magazine - May 2007
« on: 20 April 2007, 22:56:59 »

I subscribe to this mag an look forward to it arriving every month.

This month they have coverage on changing the timing belt on the Vaux V6 engines.  The article covers the change in a Vectra B but the start of the article mentions the Omega.  They get the basics correct - change the idlers and tensioners and using the locking kit.  They then go on to recommend that the water pump is changed as well!

Then in the Ear to the ground section, they talk about Diesel Omegas with the GM 2.2 engine.  Apparently, these cars are, according the the mag, very popular with Taxi companies.  Anyway, a warm starting problem is sited to be an issue - this is because the glow plugs are set to activate only when required.  The fact is, after the engine is stopped for a few hours, the plugs are not activated when in fact they are required.  This is because the temperature sensing is not quite correct.  Therefore, a few turns of the engine are required prior to a start.

That is not it though - the mounting plate above the fuel filter can become porous, which allows air into the fuel.  Next up, the injector fuel leak off pipes can perish allowing yet more air into the system.  They also collapse internally causing the fuel to build up around the injector and causing poor starting.  Finally, the sealing rings on the injectors themselves harden with age which causes yet more air leaks.

Just thought that owners of the 2.2 diesel would be interested.  I would post a scan of the article, but I am sure that this would infringe copyright.

Hope this is of use / interest to some.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Car Mechanics Magazine - May 2007
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2007, 23:23:00 »

I reserve a copy with my local newsagent, and last I checked the May issue was not out yet  >:(

Love the magazine though  :y
Alas, no more Omegas....

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2007, 23:46:18 »

... so subscribe, get the mag cheaper and before it hits the shelves then  ;)

PS - "ear to the ground" is on page 62  :y
« Last Edit: 20 April 2007, 23:49:23 by sounds2k »

wombatcurry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2007, 00:07:15 »

Interesting from the point of view of the hot start problem - this has foxed owners of the 2.5 diesel for years - I've replaced all the leak-off pipes, but never heard of the porous filter thingy - wonder if they're the same? Not sure about the injector o-rings - that's starting to get a bit deep for me.

Nickbat

« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2007, 00:13:21 »

I subscribe to this mag an look forward to it arriving every month.

They get the basics correct - change the idlers and tensioners and using the locking kit.  They then go on to recommend that the water pump is changed as well!

Yes, this is frequently advocated on here by those that know. Remember that the new belt can place extra stress on the water pump bearings and it makes sense to change it while the belt is off.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.