Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That oil spill...  (Read 434 times)

Nickbat

That oil spill...
« on: 06 August 2010, 13:05:09 »

...you know, the one that Obama called "America's greatest environmental disaster"? Well, it takes someone with an eye for maths to put it into context:

http://raedwald.blogspot.com/2010/08/that-oil-spill.html

To replicate [in the Thames] the 'environmental disaster' the Septics are claiming, I'll therefore have to empty 1.87 litres of engine oil into the river.

::) ::) ::) ;)
« Last Edit: 06 August 2010, 13:14:32 by Nickbat »

Xplicit 2.0

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset, UK
    • View Profile
Re: That oil spill...
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2010, 15:05:18 »

...you know, the one that Obama called "America's greatest environmental disaster"? Well, it takes someone with an eye for maths to put it into context:

http://raedwald.blogspot.com/2010/08/that-oil-spill.html

To replicate [in the Thames] the 'environmental disaster' the Septics are claiming, I'll therefore have to empty 1.87 litres of engine oil into the river.

::) ::) ::) ;)

u see, i thinks thats just want the states want to call it... its more that they have lost god knows how much oil to which the can sell with having to trade weapons with countries that do have the oil.... just my thoughts tho haha  :D :D

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2010, 08:54:55 »

interesting, of course, ignore the fact that the concern with the oil slick is the area it covers, so let's apply a little science: London covers an area roughly 1,700km2, the slick at one point covered 25,000km2 it got larger but I'll take a conservative assessment, or an area nearly 15 times the size of London or, if that's tricky to picture, it's equivalent to a 2km wide oil slick around the entire coastline of mainland UK  :o

now, I'm sure we'd make no fuss if that happened  :y
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Nickbat

« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2010, 09:09:32 »

interesting, of course, ignore the fact that the concern with the oil slick is the area it covers, so let's apply a little science: London covers an area roughly 1,700km2, the slick at one point covered 25,000km2 it got larger but I'll take a conservative assessment, or an area nearly 15 times the size of London or, if that's tricky to picture, it's equivalent to a 2km wide oil slick around the entire coastline of mainland UK  :o

Area is less important than density. Indeed, a thin film is far more easily broken up by natural forces, as has been the case. The fact remains that the volume of oil spilled was not as large as many maintained and that the majority of it has either disappeared naturally, or been recovered.  :y

Sorry if the outcome has not matched your agenda, BJ.  ;)

albitz

« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2010, 09:31:33 »

And BP shares are now heading in the right direction. :)

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2010, 12:32:46 »

Area is less important than density. Indeed, a thin film is far more easily broken up by natural forces, as has been the case. The fact remains that the volume of oil spilled was not as large as many maintained and that the majority of it has either disappeared naturally, or been recovered.  :y

Sorry if the outcome has not matched your agenda, BJ.  ;)

it's not an agenda - I thought we were playing a game of "Spurious Comparisonstm:y

Nickbat

« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2010, 13:04:54 »

it's not an agenda - I thought we were playing a game of "Spurious Comparisonstm:y

Nah, you always win at the spurious ones. ;)

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2010, 13:21:23 »

Nah, you always win at the spurious ones. ;)
;D :y :y

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.