Author Topic: 3D tv  (Read 1415 times)

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
Re: 3D tv
« Reply #15 on: 30 December 2010, 12:06:08 »

Referring back to the OP.  It's quite easy to create a good demonstration of stereoscopic 3D.  It's producing a good enough stream of watchable material that's the problem.

As mentioned, gaming might be a satisfactory long-term realm for such techniques as it usually involves few people and they are motivated to create the environment.
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 December 2010, 14:41:12 »

There was a news piece very recently about this and apparently because of the cost of the equipment necessary many '3D' films will have the effects added (or fiddled about with) in the post-production stage.

Rather like HD, programmes made specifically for the medium will always look best in it.

The opinion was also expressed that gaming was indeed the likely way forward (in the near term) for this technology.

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2010, 15:52:52 »

There was a news piece very recently about this and apparently because of the cost of the equipment necessary many '3D' films will have the effects added (or fiddled about with) in the post-production stage.

Rather like HD, programmes made specifically for the medium will always look best in it.

The opinion was also expressed that gaming was indeed the likely way forward (in the near term) for this technology.
Unless the whole film is treated as a CGI creation, the live action has to be shot in stereoscope which is quite complicated to get right.  As soon as you add visual bits in post-production it gets quite hairy as it is possible to create invalid perspectives that do people's heads in.

The down side is increased cost of production just when no-one has any money.  The up side(???) is that you might put your competitors out of business and get the whole arena to yourself.

As it is, manufacturers are putting resources into making their equipment capable of producing the stuff and may never get their money back, or could even go to the wall.

My verdict is that if mainstream tv production companies keep chasing this fantasy, our tv programme quality will drop still further and we may be back to three channels.
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2010, 17:11:49 »

Unless the whole film is treated as a CGI creation, the live action has to be shot in stereoscope which is quite complicated to get right.  As soon as you add visual bits in post-production it gets quite hairy as it is possible to create invalid perspectives that do people's heads in.

The down side is increased cost of production just when no-one has any money.  The up side(???) is that you might put your competitors out of business and get the whole arena to yourself.

As it is, manufacturers are putting resources into making their equipment capable of producing the stuff and may never get their money back, or could even go to the wall.

My verdict is that if mainstream tv production companies keep chasing this fantasy, our tv programme quality will drop still further and we may be back to three channels.

That's the very point they were discussing Chris but I have to say that the cameras shown were impressive looking to say the least.

I do agree with you about what may well be misplaced faith in the technology and how doubtful it is (in my view anyway) that technology can make a poorly produced, misconceived or ultimately unwatchable programme morph into something desirable.

With Sky HD, Freesat, Freeview and a Technomate 6800 HD which runs through a Unicorn 1.2 reference dish I suppose I could watch about 2 thousand channels - encrypted/unencrypted - from various providers however I find myself regularly watching 6 or so video channels and listening to a few radio ones.

So you may well be correct - excessive choice while having a certain allure, becomes less urgent when that choice serves up little but dross, and the more that broadcasters and service providers try to saturate the market by this using scatter-gun approach the more likely it is, perhaps, that things will go teats-up with subscribers ending up confused, stupefied and entirely mystified by the whole shebang.

Should it not be for Sky Arts, Jazz FM R3 R4 (sat. delivered) Sky1 BBC4 ITV4 some news channels, (especially Sky to see Alex Crawford, Kay Burley and Sarah Hughes) and the odd delve into Universal - I would have nothing to watch or listen to.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2010, 17:14:05 by Zulu77 »

Mr Hagon

• Intermediate Member
  • South West London
  • RWD and V6; the only way to travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 December 2010, 23:05:01 »

I have to admit forking out for a 3D TV this week to take advantage of the sales and get in before the VAT increase.  However it just happens that the TV is 3D ready but I was more interested in getting the best panel etc.

I don't plan to invest in the 3D stuff, but should it take off, I'm futureproofed to a degree.  As my current TV has lasted over 10 years I'm hoping to get the same amount of time out of this one.

As others have said, as I wear specs, I don't like the idea of wearing another pair on top...
Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.2 Estate (Mar '02) in Star Silver.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 December 2010, 23:24:20 »

I have to admit forking out for a 3D TV this week to take advantage of the sales and get in before the VAT increase.  However it just happens that the TV is 3D ready but I was more interested in getting the best panel etc.

I don't plan to invest in the 3D stuff, but should it take off, I'm futureproofed to a degree.  As my current TV has lasted over 10 years I'm hoping to get the same amount of time out of this one.

As others have said, as I wear specs, I don't like the idea of wearing another pair on top...

Must admit I came close to upgrading from the Phony 32" CRT today. If anyone had actually had any stock I might have bit the bullet. ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.