Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on my possible new car  (Read 878 times)

jazzyc

• View Profile
Advice on my possible new car
« on: 13 June 2007, 20:35:23 »

hello everyone

hope i have posted this in the correct place :D

I am going to look at a new car tomorrow and wanted your advice.

The car is a 2.5 v6 ellite model in green, 2001 on a 'y' plate and has done 59,000miles.

The car comes with no service history as it seems it has been lost allthough the dealer does have previous mot's to confirm the mileage.

I have knocked him down by £500 to cover the cost of cambelt and service as i am aware that the belt should have been done at 40,000miles and i do not know for sure if it has been so best be safe. I am also told that it is due for a service at 60,000miles. Is this a small service or are plugs involved? If it is plugs i am guessing this is abit of a job as i know it wasent easy on my v6 mondeo!

Any other advice you can give me would be a big help on things to look for etc.

can i also ask should there be alloy wheels on here and what size are they? are these different to the cdx wheels etc.

last but not least anyone able to run cheks on cars on here or have means of finding about there history etc.

thanks in advance

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on my possible new car
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2007, 21:05:01 »

get a full HPI report!

Look at my car.. http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172441128 those are standard elite alloys, 17" on 235/45/17 tyres, there should be one on each corner, please ignore the fact that my car's not actually an elite, but i assure you those are the correct wheels

other members will be along to give other pointers
« Last Edit: 13 June 2007, 21:06:37 by D4NNY »

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2007, 21:05:55 »

hello everyone

hope i have posted this in the correct place :D

I am going to look at a new car tomorrow and wanted your advice.

The car is a 2.5 v6 ellite model in green, 2001 on a 'y' plate and has done 59,000miles.

The car comes with no service history as it seems it has been lost allthough the dealer does have previous mot's to confirm the mileage.

I have knocked him down by £500 to cover the cost of cambelt and service as i am aware that the belt should have been done at 40,000miles and i do not know for sure if it has been so best be safe. I am also told that it is due for a service at 60,000miles. Is this a small service or are plugs involved? If it is plugs i am guessing this is abit of a job as i know it wasent easy on my v6 mondeo!

Any other advice you can give me would be a big help on things to look for etc.

can i also ask should there be alloy wheels on here and what size are they? are these different to the cdx wheels etc.

last but not least anyone able to run cheks on cars on here or have means of finding about there history etc.

thanks in advance

Check in the Spark plug wells for oil.. If there is oil in there you need cam cover gaskets which are about £55 (less with Trade Card) plus you will need to clean out your breathers, again not a hard job.

At Local VX cambelt, tensioners and water pump Plus fitting cost me about £350...
I would change the oil and filter and air filter. The plugs aren't a big job I did mine with the Plenum off, think you can do them with Plenum left on someone will be a long soon and put me right... :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

jazzyc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2007, 22:04:48 »

thanks for all the advice guys, all welcome.

can i also ask about the sound system in the car. I read on here somethingabout the ellite models having a bose system? what does this consist of and are they any good?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2007, 22:12:15 »

thanks for all the advice guys, all welcome.

can i also ask about the sound system in the car. I read on here somethingabout the ellite models having a bose system? what does this consist of and are they any good?
As a factory fit system the bose is pretty good. Not up to the premium systems fitted in brand new exec saloons, but still good...
Grumpy old man

jazzyc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2007, 08:02:22 »

Sould i be over concerned about the lack of service book?

anything else anyone can advise me with before i go down this morning to see it?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2007, 09:22:41 »

A fully stamped service book is a good thing, but not the end of the world if its not there.  Just be prepared to do some extra work.

Check all paperwork for the car and, as you already are aware, looking especially for evidence of cambelt and tensioner change.  Needs doing at 40k or 4 year intervals.  If no evidence of a change, get it done asap or barter this further into the selling price.  If no proof is there, will be 19k miles overdue......  Cost about £150 or so all in, if you do it yourself.

Strange you say dealer has some old MOT's but no service history.....  Would recommend a full HPI check as someone else said to see what history etc that provides.  If he has the full V5, it will show previous owner and the owner from whom that person bought it.  Note both names and addresses as, when and if you buy the car, the details of the oldest owner will not be there.  Get a contact telephone number and call them to verify where/when servicing was done and you could possibly piece a history together.

HtH

B   
« Last Edit: 14 June 2007, 09:34:15 by hotel21 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.