Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insuring a write off.  (Read 835 times)

albitz

Insuring a write off.
« on: 22 September 2009, 17:49:03 »

A mate off mine has just had his punto written off by his ins.co. They gave him an amount off money and let him keep the car which he was happy with.Today he has had a letter from them to say they wont continue to insure the car unless he has it repaired and then provides them with a schedule of work and an engineers report.
Seems a bit devious to do this after he has agreed the offer,as I would imsgine the car is now only worth scrap value.It wasnt written off for structural reasons, but was deemed beyond economic repair.
Any ideas on the best way to proceed ? He was planning on keeping the car for another year or so as its perfectly driveable (or as driveable as a punto ever can be). :-/
« Last Edit: 22 September 2009, 17:49:36 by albitz »

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
Re: Insuring a write off.
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2009, 19:03:19 »

No probs with this one,i did the same a few years back.if it's the same now.took car to a Highway agency MOT yard(the place where HGV get MOTed)they will mot it along with the paperwork.i had to take all the paperwork to them to prove the repairs which i did myself then they reclass the car.But if you sell the car you must tell the buyer it was a cat C,D,E write off.Check first they might have changed and you might be able to take to a normal MOT station now

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2009, 00:24:26 »

Yes, I recon it all depends on the damage. My current Miggy was a Cat C or D, but the only damage was cosmetic to the paint work, so there is no mechanical damage. It shouldn't matter should it ?. However the insurance business can to some extent put what ever conditions they want to on to a policy. I got the car  MOT'd and insured it as normal. The insurance questionare doesn't ask about write-off so apparently that information is not required.

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

HolyCount

« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2009, 19:10:32 »

Yes, I recon it all depends on the damage. My current Miggy was a Cat C or D, but the only damage was cosmetic to the paint work, so there is no mechanical damage. It shouldn't matter should it ?. However the insurance business can to some extent put what ever conditions they want to on to a policy. I got the car  MOT'd and insured it as normal. The insurance questionare doesn't ask about write-off so apparently that information is not required.

Ken

Even if they don't ask -- if it is something you'd like to be told when buying the car, it is something you should disclose when insuring -- they can and most likely will use this as a reason for not paying out in the event of a claim.  Most insurers will not increase the premium for Cat Ds and for Cat C's that have been VIC'd ---- but they still like to be told !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.