Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Manual gearbox.  (Read 2152 times)

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
Re: Manual gearbox.
« Reply #15 on: 15 June 2007, 22:22:21 »

Once upon a time, I had an Avenger 1250. It had a very good gearchange, very positive, no slop. This was compared to my previous mini that was a bit sloppy. Once on holiday the rear engine mount went, the engine tilted back and we had to drive back using 1st and 3rd only! ;D ;D ;D
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 June 2007, 22:35:11 »

Hmmm.....Rustin Rover gearboxes still make me shudder.

Many moons ago (12 years!) I was working for Alstom in Stafford where we had a fleet of Montenogo's (pool cars), Rover 800's (for the managers) and Senators for the Directors...

I had to go to a job in Islington (Static Var Compensator) and so got a tatty (as supplied from the factory I think, were the wheel arches detachable?) 2.0 Estate....

I was driving down the M6 just going past Birmingham North services (or what ever they were called) in the outisde lane at err....70mph.....when there was one hell of a [size=72]BANG![/size]

The engine revs went through the roof, the car lurched upwards and left, there was banging noises from up front and under the car....

Look in the rear view mirror and cars behind me are swirving and braking......

Look in the passenger side mirror whilst indicating to get onto the hard shoulder whilst I still had some momentum and I cant see it coz the side window is covered in oil!!

Get onto the hard shoulder and there is now a tail back as people try to avoid the outside overtaking lane...

Engine off, hazards on, lift the bonnet......wheres the gearbox gone!

There was a starter motor hanging on the end of its cable with a bit of casting attached to it, one drive shaft was bent backwards under the car, the other was missing....

Engine was realy tilted over and almost touching the floor....

Passenger side was covered in oil.....

So.....go to the SOS phone box, why do cars always break down at the mid point!

Police turned up 5 mins later and closed lanes 2 and 3 whilst the debris was recovered.....I am pleased to say they found the drive shaft!

Turns out the gearbox seized internally and blew it self apart....!!!!
did they give you the rover 800 or the montego some montegos had honda boxs didn't they don't say much for gearboxs,i know  they are reliable for engines :y :y :y
One of Mrs TheBoy's mates has an 02 plate Honda Jazz, 35k on clock, and a £1k bill for a new manual box, as the original let go....
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #17 on: 16 June 2007, 09:00:21 »

So, we are all agreed then. The omega manual box does behave better in warm weather. Good.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2007, 21:17:04 »

Hmmm.....Rustin Rover gearboxes still make me shudder.

Vx manuals are the same......veccyB gearbox let go and blew a hole in the side of the casing.....it had only done 150k miles at the time......they dont make gearboxes like they used to  ::) ;D

I've heard a few horror stories about Vectra boxes, the one in the Vectra my dad had about 4 or 5 years ago was very wooden feeling, horrid shifting although thankfully it never fell off! It was never going to be a driver's car anyway, handled like a boat.

Thankfully the one in the Omega is completely different (R28 in the Omega, F23 in the Vectra IIRC) and the shifting is much better plus they rarely seem to go wrong.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 June 2007, 21:34:49 »

and Senators for the Directors...

Does that make me a Director?  :D  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 June 2007, 12:09:05 »

No.....given how long ago it was that makes you.......a student.

It was a Montenogo.

The Vectra suffered from gearbox faults in the first 18 months of production, following that there pretty trouble free..
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.