Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bike caririer for saloon  (Read 1123 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Bike caririer for saloon
« on: 12 September 2010, 15:24:49 »

looking for one to fit 2 bikes on ,one of which is a kids one as SP-jr is getting better at riding his bike now This is to use with a saloon without a tow bar.
Was thinking of this one
http://www.roof-rack-supplies.co.uk/cycle-carrier-dartmoor.htm

Anyone used/have one. Price seems ok :y.

Thanks
Steve.
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

feeutfo

Re: Bike caririer for saloon
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2010, 17:27:37 »

Me n mrs G have a bike each and looked into a carrier similar to that, in the end we opted not to bother and make do with either strapping the bikes to roof bars in a roof rack sytle. Or removing the front wheels, drop the seats and place both bikes in the boot/through space to the back seats, not an option for you I guess with the child seat in the back? Maybe put the child seat in the front?

No matter what you do it's going to be aggro. The rack in the link covers the number plate meaning a pull from the plod, the weight will mean the boot won't stay up and damage to the boot will inevitably result anyway.

The ones that carry the bikes clear of the number plate sit too high from memory, meaning opening the boot means possible collission with the rear window and aerial, more damage. I used roof bars purely because I already had them, and drove off to the woods with a mate similarly loaded only to watch him drive through a car park entrance in the new forest with a hight restriction and almost wipe the lot off the roof onto the floor.

If the bikes are outside the car they can be stolen more easily and mud falling on the roof will scratch the paint.

So in the end decided no matter what you do it's a pita, so why spend money on top of it all, so we stick two bikes in the boot....just. :-/
« Last Edit: 12 September 2010, 17:29:17 by chrisgixer »

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2010, 17:32:10 »

Ps. Those clips that attach to the edge of the boot lid and pull tight with a strap WILL bend the boot lid.

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2010, 19:46:52 »

Good points Chris :y :y. Thinking of it, as you said  wheels off and in the boot as the best way :y.

If the weather is ok next week will give it a go and run up to Abbey Park :y.
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2010, 20:04:52 »

Thats why I changed the saloon for an estate, seats down bike in without taking it apart, or wheels off and it will go in the boot space with seats up. And the roof bars will take a bike rack for when the cars full up..

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2010, 20:18:48 »

Thats why I changed the saloon for an estate, seats down bike in without taking it apart, or wheels off and it will go in the boot space with seats up. And the roof bars will take a bike rack for when the cars full up..
Very nearly went for an Estate.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2010, 20:58:00 »

If you've got a towbar Steve, try one of these :y

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1283432264
Retired

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2010, 21:38:10 »

If you've got a towbar Steve, try one of these :y

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1283432264
Interesting...

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2010, 21:51:33 »

looking for one to fit 2 bikes on ,one of which is a kids one as SP-jr is getting better at riding his bike now This is to use with a saloon without a tow bar.
Was thinking of this one
http://www.roof-rack-supplies.co.uk/cycle-carrier-dartmoor.htm

Anyone used/have one. Price seems ok :y.

Thanks
Steve.

I have driven hundreds of miles with a rack like that, though the one I have does not have the side straps to the boot that this one shows.  2 straps to the back of the boot and 2 under the back bumper, where need a good solid area to fix on to.  Used on a Rover 827 and a pug 405 and a Mitsubishi Galant, not sure the bumper on an Omega will be strong enough though never looked.. ::)

I should add that I was never 100% certain of it's security, worried about a strap snapping. I still have it but was thinking of fitting a tow bar so I could use a bolt on type... :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.