Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good to see Imps are still about  (Read 3314 times)

Martin_1962

Re: Good to see Imps are still about
« Reply #30 on: 18 April 2011, 08:16:40 »

I prefer the replacement - nice to see them though
Chrysler Horizon ? I thought they were crap myself. :-/

Horizon was Simca shit

The replacement was same factory 3 door hatch with RWD and occasionally a Lotus engine
Sunbeam replaced the Avenger, not the imp. ;)

Nope made at same time - used the Avenger mechanics - hence rather underpowered with an Imp engine.

albitz

« Reply #31 on: 18 April 2011, 09:43:06 »

There may have been a bit of overlap between the end of the Avenger and the start of Sunbeam production, but the Sunbeam was the replacement for the Avenger,although admittedly some moron in the accounting or marketing dept did decide to make a version with the little hairdryer motor under the bonnet. ;)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 April 2011, 10:55:21 »

The vans were badged-up as Commer Cobs I believe! ;)

The van was the Husky  ;)  ;)

http://www.imps4ever.info/family/husky.html

I stand corrected Mr B! ;D
« Last Edit: 18 April 2011, 10:55:49 by Reliance505 »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 April 2011, 10:57:38 »

The vans were badged-up as Commer Cobs I believe! ;)

The Commer Cobs were the van varient of the Hillman Minx, I think.   :)

Oops (again)! ;D

Dead right Brooce ;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 April 2011, 12:40:25 »

This thread takes me back.

In The mid 70's my boss used to take me out on work business in his Orange Ginetta and we used to listen to Fleetwood Mac on the stereo. I thought it was fab as we were getting paid whilst driving on scenic country lanes for an hour each way.

My ownership of Imps extended to one miserable water consuming example bought for £25 and sold soon after for £30. I quickly went back to what I knew and understood - Minis!

My friend rallied a genuine ex works car but fitted with a standard apart from 998 cc engine. I navigated on a few night events for him (remember those with "selectives"  :y).
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Martin_1962

« Reply #35 on: 18 April 2011, 12:53:07 »

There may have been a bit of overlap between the end of the Avenger and the start of Sunbeam production, but the Sunbeam was the replacement for the Avenger,although admittedly some moron in the accounting or marketing dept did decide to make a version with the little hairdryer motor under the bonnet. ;)

Sunbeam was definately Imp replacement, even same factory.

Avenger 71 to 82
Sunbeam 78 to 82

Imp finished in 76 or 77

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 April 2011, 13:50:19 »

Not true; the Sunbeam and Chysler/Talbot Avenger were available concurrently from '78 through to '82.

Sunbeams use an Avenger structure, shortened by about a foot. Many panels are interchangeable, if not the same; wings, front panel headlights, windscreen, front doors are the same as a 2 door Avenger.
There are photos of the 'Avenbeam' that Chrysler built, using the front end of an Avenger on a Sunbeam body which looks decidedly odd.

My interest in these is for the usual reason, my mum had three Avengers in a row. The full set; a Hillman, Chrysler and a Talbot. My first car was a Sunbeam Ti(wish I still had it, they're rare and worth good money), and I'm currently prepping my own Avenger for paint.

Anorak is now back on the hook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.