Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I really need new valves?  (Read 705 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Do I really need new valves?
« on: 11 July 2007, 15:57:24 »

I've been cleaning my valves - they all look as new, apart from the one that broke! It's a saving of £70, if I just get the head set without Valves.

Also - does anyone have a collett?! I managed to drop one half... it's not in the head because I saw it fall, but can't find it anywhere... :(

Ronald_McBurger

Re: Do I really need new valves?
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2007, 16:07:29 »

You can do just one valve if you want.

That collet. Pick it up with a magnet. It is there somewhere. If not, you can buy a collet for about a quid.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2007, 16:08:43 »

Are all the valves realy in a good state, no step on the valve seat at all, no sign of wear on the shafts, no pitting on the seats....

I would say post a pic, but its not worth the effort with that naff camera  ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2007, 16:35:27 »

Problem is, it's easy to regret taking short cuts when you've rebuilt an engine and very difficult, expensive and time consuming to go back and correct it.

One of the exhaust valves failed in a big way. At least one of the other exhaust valves has been through exactly the same life as the failed valve, because it was in the same cylinder. The other 6 may well have been through the same. Depends exactly what caused the failure.

It could be that the failed valve was defective in some way and that the others are fine. It also could be that they're all at the end of their life and about to do the same. There's no real way of knowing how fatigued they are, even if they appear perfect.

An alternative mode of valve failure is that the head drops off and trashes the piston, head and block.

The package of gaskets plus valves on EBay looked very good value and I would certainly be replacing the whole lot if it were me, just for the knowledge that I haven't left anything in the engine that could bite me in the @rse one day. Maybe I'm just over-cautious.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2007, 16:45:19 »

Problem is, it's easy to regret taking short cuts when you've rebuilt an engine and very difficult, expensive and time consuming to go back and correct it.

One of the exhaust valves failed in a big way. At least one of the other exhaust valves has been through exactly the same life as the failed valve, because it was in the same cylinder. The other 6 may well have been through the same. Depends exactly what caused the failure.

It could be that the failed valve was defective in some way and that the others are fine. It also could be that they're all at the end of their life and about to do the same. There's no real way of knowing how fatigued they are, even if they appear perfect.

An alternative mode of valve failure is that the head drops off and trashes the piston, head and block.

The package of gaskets plus valves on EBay looked very good value and I would certainly be replacing the whole lot if it were me, just for the knowledge that I haven't left anything in the engine that could bite me in the @rse one day. Maybe I'm just over-cautious.

Kevin

I actually agree Kevin...

I've just been to the VX dealer, and got a collett.. £1.02 for 2.

They wanted £54 for ONE valve though,he even showed me on his EPC.

So I'm going to ket the kit, and do the lot...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.