Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Omega and my weekend car  (Read 2728 times)

Jon Jon

• Northamptonshire
    • View Profile
My Omega and my weekend car
« on: 11 September 2008, 14:44:16 »

As I've finally had the chance to get it cleaned (despite the rain), here are a couple of photos of my Elite.  It's a 2001 2.6 with 58k on the clock (of which I've been responsible for a little over 2k in the past 3 weeks that I've owned it!), came with a full warranty and still gave me change from £2500 so I'm well pleased with it.

As I'm very much a new member and still making my introductions, I've also included a couple of pictures of my weekend toy, which the Omega will be pulling around to trackdays next year.  It's a 1998 Fiesta which I've owned since new but to which I've added a tuned engine from a Ford Racing Puma.  The car has a power to weight ratio of a little over 200bhp per ton which, coupled with a few suspension and brake upgrades, makes it a whole lot of very discrete fun.

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Re: My Omega and my weekend car
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2008, 16:34:03 »

Hi jon jon welcome to the forum looks  very nice  :y
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2008, 17:09:34 »

Nice looking miggy you have there  :y
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2008, 17:59:07 »

Nice motors m8 - where in Northants are you?
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2008, 18:09:34 »

Very nice on both counts there matey :y
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Jon Jon

• Northamptonshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2008, 19:55:00 »

Thanks, guys.

Dbug - I'm in Rushden.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2008, 20:04:22 »

Nice and clean cars..And fiesta is really economical :y

ps: now see its modified .. :)
« Last Edit: 11 September 2008, 20:06:43 by cem_devecioglu »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2008, 20:16:06 »

Very nice.

What's the engine in the fiesta? Can't see with the plastic cover on it but I assume it's a Zetec SE? Or a Zetec E?

Just needs a pair of these to complete it:  ;)

Kevin
« Last Edit: 11 September 2008, 20:16:37 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jon Jon

• Northamptonshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2008, 23:07:14 »

The engine is based on a 1.7 Zetec-SE but it's been fairly well fettled mechanically and electronically (it revs to nearly 9k!) yet, curiously, it's actually pretty economical for the most part.  An overfuelling problem recently did see some fairly large flames coming out of the exhaust on full chat though...

I did once intend to go down the TB route but settled on the Ford Racing inlet set up, partly because of its rarity, but also because I figured that it would be more reliable (at the time I was using the car as a daily driver) than trumpets and socks.  Ford made 500 Racing Pumas, all of which came with an individually numbered manifold.  When the cars were first released, 10 specially stamped manifolds were made up for the press cars.  Mine's one of those, which I've had polished just because it looked a bit more special that way!

I intend to keep the Omega standard...

... but I keep thinking about V8s.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2008, 23:08:12 by Jon_Jon »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2008, 10:38:46 »

The engine is based on a 1.7 Zetec-SE ...

Very nice. What engine management are you running? And what sort of power is it making?

I have a 2.0 Zetec E in my Westfield on Jenveys and a Megasquirt. It's had a bit of head work and Raceline RL200 cams. Not quite as revvy. I limit it at 7400.

Mrs. KW had a Fiesta with a 1.25 Zetec SE and I loved that engine. Nice and light, loved to rev. I wonder how much weight I could save by dropping one into the Westfield.

I intend to keep the Omega standard...

... but I keep thinking about V8s.

Yeah, it happens. :D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2008, 10:48:27 »

.. and just imagine if money were no object, and you started thinking about V8s...

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/index.php?page=holeshot-hartley-v8

:-* :-* :-*

I bet you've surprised a few folk in the Fiesta due to its' standard outward appearance. Quite a street sleeper.  :y

Kevin

Jon Jon

• Northamptonshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2008, 12:21:37 »

What engine management are you running? And what sort of power is it making?

Running a Puma ECU flashed with the Racing Puma management (which was mapped by Ahmed Bayjoo) but supplemented by a Unichip which I've been able to have mapped to suit as the car's been developed.

It puts out around 180bhp give or take (depending upon the season!) and has been pretty reliable in that state of tune for around 60k miles, let down only by electrical sensors which this car eats by the bucket load.  TPSs and lambdas are its favourite.  Mechanically it's got some particularly lumpy cams, had a lot of headwork (the comp. ratio is pretty extreme and, in truth, I've probably skimmed it too much when I was having the head done), and I've spent a fortune getting it to breathe properly, both on the inlet and exhaust side.  I've kept it legal though and it still (just!) squeaks through the emissions test at MoT time.

There is a downside though - it's almost all power and the torque figures are pretty disappointing, being little more than the standard Racing Puma (but then I was young(ish) then and thought power was everything).

Mrs. KW had a Fiesta with a 1.25 Zetec SE and I loved that engine. Nice and light, loved to rev. I wonder how much weight I could save by dropping one into the Westfield.

That's the joy of these little Zetecs - they weigh buttons and throttle response is close to immediate; they zip through the revs like a bike (Yamaha were responsible for the engine development so that might help to explain that).  That and the handling, of course - as you'll know, even the 1.25 cooking model Fiestas are an absolute hoot.

I'd better just say how much I'm enjoying driving the Omega though else people will think that I'm a Ford nut who's come on here just to bring it down from the inside!!

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2008, 12:23:44 »

Couple of very nice motors you got there jon  :y

Jon Jon

• Northamptonshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2008, 12:34:28 »

.. and just imagine if money were no object, and you started thinking about V8s...

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/index.php?page=holeshot-hartley-v8

:-* :-* :-*

I bet you've surprised a few folk in the Fiesta due to its' standard outward appearance. Quite a street sleeper.  :y

Kevin

Alas, money is an object!

It's funny, I've spent thousands on the Fiesta over the years and it hardly turns a head (which is how I like it) yet owners of most hatches with sporting pretentions don't know which way I've gone.  

The Omega, on the other hand, seems to be getting plenty of attention.  I've been having great fun crusing at 55 in the inside lane (saving plenty of fuel as I do!) and watching people hammering up the outside lane, knowing that they're speeding, and standing on the anchors to check that I'm not plod before they accelerate off again like the clappers.  I'm thinking of getting some extra aeriels and a hi vis jacked for the back shelf!!

tomoco

• Omega Knight
  • leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2008, 23:22:20 »

Great looking motors mate :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.