Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bio-diesel in omegas  (Read 684 times)

wozzle71

• View Profile
bio-diesel in omegas
« on: 14 January 2007, 13:42:45 »

how do everyone, does anybody know whether a 2.5 td will run on bio diesel friends just bought one and is not too sure (n reg bmw 2.5 td engine)    :-?

wombatcurry

• View Profile
Re: bio-diesel in omegas
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2007, 23:45:37 »

Definitely - you really need to preheat the diesel using a heated filter - you can find these on ebay - or you can run on a 50/50 mix - just watch out in very cold weather for gelling.
TDs will also run on heating oil but you need to put some lubricant in the tank to keep the injector pump happy (you really ought to do this anyway in UK with all the low sulphur fuel being sold) - once biodiesel becomes available on forecourts this problem should disappear.
Let us know how you (or your friend...) get on.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2007, 23:55:41 »

humm personally i would not run the 2.5 Diesel on veggie oil, modern diesels are sophistcated lumps. I belive the pumps on these's don't go well on the stuff, nor does the engine run very well.

The 2.5 BMW diesel its a very smooth engine, and does not go well on the stuff. My advice is get it chipped, that will result in better mpg, as BMW have the engines de-tuned when given to Vauxhall.

I belive someone here ran their 2.5 Auto diesel Elite on that stuff and it ran like a sack of crap, put regualar diesel in it, smooth as silk.

wombatcurry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2007, 00:12:33 »

All German made diesels have been designed to run on biodiesel for some years now - that doesn't say that they will run well on pure veggie oil - but the BMW lump just happens to be good at it - the injector pump is "veggie safe" - so long as you pre-heat. There was a guy on the Yahoo Omega forum who ran his for some years almost exclusively on veggie oil and claimed it ran smoother than with forecourt fuel (plus the satisfaction of keeping Mr Browns hand out of his wallet!). As I mentioned in my first post - current low sulphur diesel as sold on Uk forecourts is BAD for your injector pumps!
Personnally I run mine on forecourt fuel - but that's because I'm paying less than 60p a litre for it in France (and it contains min 5% biodiesel, so no problems with lubrication). If I was in UK, I'd be running on heating oil( 30p/litre) plus lubricant because veggie oil is a pain to get in large quantities (and does have drawbacks in cold weather) and biodiesel has to be manufactured in the garden shed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 18 queries.