Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Manual on CD  (Read 1332 times)

rob.b.666

• Blackpool
    • View Profile
Omega Manual on CD
« on: 21 March 2007, 20:33:23 »

Hi all.

Just bought what I thought was a workshop manual on CD, which turned out to be the TIS2000.

"Great", I thought, as my TIS2000 (2005 version) wouldn't install after I had to re-format the Hard Disc, following some problems with my PC a while back.

Anyway, loaded the software on, but wasn't sure whether to click 'allow access' when my viruschecker/firewall prompted, so clicked 'allow access once'. Did this at each prompt and finally got the software laoded up.

Trouble is, it wouldn't let me into the sections and asked fror Internet access each time. Ended up with message saying 'container does not recognise' or something and kept freezing ! Affected access to a website also (nothing Vaux related though)

Anyway, have uninstalled it and restored my system, so all is well again. Wondering if I should attempt re-install, but click 'block all access' this time. Can't remember what I clicked when I installed to 2005 version !

Any ideas ? :-?
My most hated six words...... 'It's a common problem on Vauxhalls' ...........arrrggghh !!!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Manual on CD
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2007, 20:41:03 »

I would imagine it's trying to access the internet to verify the subscription as it is proprietary software. The seller had no right to be selling it in the first place. I'd report him to ebay. The item was described as a workshop manual when in fact it's pirated software.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2007, 21:16:48 »

not had any of the problems talked about here (not that i have tis at home its at *work*)

But I don't think discussions on TIS are allowed here  :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2007, 21:44:05 »

Discussions of TIS are allowed if you own it.  If you don't own it, we do not allow discussions about how to get it illegally, or how to install illegal copies.

Was it a legal copy, if so, what version?  If its earlier than 2006 then its likely its got some spyware/malware/virus if its prompting for internet access. If this is the case (assuming its legal), speak to your vendor about it.

We cannot allow discussion of illegally acquiring and installing the software, as we obviously have to protect the site. Thank you for your understanding.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2007, 21:44:48 »

Incidentally, the very latest ones are web based ;)
Grumpy old man

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2007, 22:51:54 »

Bin it  :y
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2007, 23:52:45 »

I bought off the Internet (not eBay! a 'proper' website) a 'workshop manual' and a 'parts catalogue' on CD which I assumed would be legal copies of... well, something. The cost was just over a Tenner each so obviously I did not expect the likes of TIS or EPC, but since it was inexpensive I thought I won't be too disappointed, and expected to get a Haynes-style manual on CD.

I was quite surprised when what turned-up was home-made burnt CDs with marker pen labels, containing pirated versions of TIS200 and EPC... the seller added a brief printed note saying that the software is sold for 'backup' purposes only, and that no license is included - which is hardly a legal disclaimer. Needless to say that nothing of this kind that was mentioned on the website...

In short, I can't believe that people have the nerve to do this. They know that it is probably pointless to complain, the cost is very low and the CDs were dispatched from Spain, so the local police force or Standards Trading Officer will not be too inclined to take any serious action...

For obvious reasons I will not give the details of the website here, but be warned - anyone selling this kind of software for a tenner is a scam, all you will get is pirated software on home made CDs, the actual value is around 10p per disk!  >:(

« Last Edit: 21 March 2007, 23:53:46 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2007, 18:09:59 »

I bought off the Internet (not eBay! a 'proper' website) a 'workshop manual' and a 'parts catalogue' on CD which I assumed would be legal copies of... well, something. The cost was just over a Tenner each so obviously I did not expect the likes of TIS or EPC, but since it was inexpensive I thought I won't be too disappointed, and expected to get a Haynes-style manual on CD.

I was quite surprised when what turned-up was home-made burnt CDs with marker pen labels, containing pirated versions of TIS200 and EPC... the seller added a brief printed note saying that the software is sold for 'backup' purposes only, and that no license is included - which is hardly a legal disclaimer. Needless to say that nothing of this kind that was mentioned on the website...

In short, I can't believe that people have the nerve to do this. They know that it is probably pointless to complain, the cost is very low and the CDs were dispatched from Spain, so the local police force or Standards Trading Officer will not be too inclined to take any serious action...

For obvious reasons I will not give the details of the website here, but be warned - anyone selling this kind of software for a tenner is a scam, all you will get is pirated software on home made CDs, the actual value is around 10p per disk!  >:(

And seeing as TIS is around a grand for a 1yr subscription, you can see that a tenner will never buy you a TIS licence...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.