Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine oil consumption  (Read 688 times)

CBH

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
Engine oil consumption
« on: 12 June 2007, 15:52:45 »

I have a 1997 2.5 V6 automatic it has done 180K miles.
The Engine oil consumption is 1200 to 1400 miles to the litre depending on type of journey.
The question is this about right?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Engine oil consumption
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2007, 16:12:20 »

I have a 1997 2.5 V6 automatic it has done 180K miles.
The Engine oil consumption is 1200 to 1400 miles to the litre depending on type of journey.
The question is this about right?

I don't think it's anything at all to worry about. Does the engine behave OK, and is there any blue smoke from the exhaust when revving it?

A few tips -

Make sure the oil is changed regularly, using 10/40 semi synth oil and a new filter. Change it every time it goes a dark colour for a bit - and then every 3-5,000 miles.

Make sure the crankcase breather system is totally clear. Should be a maintenance guide if you follow the links on the homepage. (While you're at it - clean the throttle body!!)

Pull out a plug lead on each side of the engine - is the plug well full of oil? If it is, you have a camcover gasket leak, which is the most common oil leak on Omega's (caused by crankcase pressure escaping as a result of blocked breathers). If this is the case - change the gaskets - only AFTER cleaning the breathers!

Otherwise, if this checks out OK, and there are no visible leaks or smoke, I would just drive and enjoy, at that mileage :y

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2007, 17:50:34 »

I wouldn't be worried either.  A bit of lubrication never did any harm.

Unless you have cleaned the breathers I would guess you probably do have leaking cam covers (do you get a burnt oil smell in traffic?) and that probably accounts for some of it.    Worth fixing (no panic) as it won't be doing your plugs/leads any good if so.   And definitely worth cleaning the breathers - not a difficult and well worth while job.

Cheers

Ian

CBH

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2007, 18:22:25 »

I have just change both cam cover gaskets and clean the beathing system including replacing the large main "Y" pipe (£43 from vauxhall)
Thanks for the help
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.