Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mayonnaise deposit on the filler cap  (Read 727 times)

DC

• Intermediate Member
  • Switzerland
    • View Profile
mayonnaise deposit on the filler cap
« on: 13 November 2007, 22:57:29 »

Hi! I am new here as I bought my 2.5V6 Omega 2 months ago. Was until today happy with the car but now the honeymoon is over after I noticed my coolant is disappearing. Small investigation revealed a creamy mayonnaise deposit in the filler neck and on the filler cap. Its obviously not oil cooler failure cause that would lead to oil contaminating coolant, not the other way around. This generally means head gaskets failure, but on the other side they don’t often go on these engines and it is not suffering from high temperatures. So, could it be anything else?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise deposit on the filler cap
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2007, 23:05:04 »

Oil filler does suffer from mayo buildup if car is only used for short journeys.  If it gets driven lots of miles daily then possible problem.  If only used for short runs, get a few early oil changes (3 - 4 k miles) with a good semi synth oil - VX own is good value.  Remove torx bolt then quarter turn filler neck anticlockwise to remove.   Clean the filler neck out.   Get the car upto good hot temps regularly and it will soon clear, hopefully.

Waterloss is something else.  Heater Bypass Valve is usual culprit.  Does it happen more or less when aircon/heater/climate is on/off?  Normally only happens by dripping on drivers side rear of block (left rear as viewed standing at front).
« Last Edit: 13 November 2007, 23:06:51 by hotel21 »

DC

• Intermediate Member
  • Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2007, 23:17:57 »

I use the car for daily commute (appx 8-10miles - one way). Don’t know if that counts as short trips. Until 2 weeks ago was driving only on motorway/A road, but since than have been driving through the city. Noticed the problem only today. Didn’t see any external leakage of the coolant - will check properly on Saturday, but have noticed a burning smell recently. I put new Castrol semi-synthetic oil just a month ago.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2007, 23:28:14 »

I would call that short trips, especially if running through the city.

It would be worthwhile to clean the filler neck out as described and also clean out the engine breather system.  If you research the maintenance guides and 'howtoos' you will see whats suggested.  Its not too hard and well within the DIY capable bracket.  Still go with the short oil changes.  Semi synth oil is fine, no need for engine flush additives or any other 'snake oil' type additions to get it to clear....

It is strongly recommended that the timing belt and tensioner kit is replaced at 40k miles or 4 years.   If not done then tensioners WILL let go and effectively scrap the engine.....  If you have no history of it being done or, if regular stop start use, might be worth ensuring kit is done sooner rather than later.  

Burning smell?  Possible cam cover gaskets leaking.  If you pull a plug lead or two out, one at a time, from each bank and see oil at the bottom, then gaskets need doing.  Again, a 'howtoo' is available...

Welcome to the forum, by the way!!  
« Last Edit: 13 November 2007, 23:29:56 by hotel21 »

DC

• Intermediate Member
  • Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2007, 23:45:27 »

Thanks for the welcome. Will clean the filler neck and the engine breather system on Saturday. The car has done 180,000km at the moment. Was from first hand and with a complete service history, together with bills.  The timing belt and tensioner were replaced at 145,000km, so the next change is due at 200,000-205,000. Heater Bypass Valve replaced last year. Will also check cam cover gaskets, but from what I have seen so far the car was immaculately maintained. I imagine cam cover gaskets fail only on cars that have not had regular oil changes, or am I wrong?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2007, 23:55:22 »

Sounds like a good purchase....

Ref the cam covers, regular oil changes play a major part but it is keeping the breather system clear which is just as, if not more, important.  The engine is designed to consume the result of piston 'blowby' where combustion gasses bypass the pistons into the crankcase, in common with any piston engine.  The breather system allows these oily gasses to be consumed as part of the combustion process.  

If the breathers are blocked the oil fumes must escape to atmosphere somewhere else and the cam gaskets are the weak link.  If the breathers are kept clear leaks are at a minimum.

Use of fully synth oil has a greater detergent effect and increases the chances of leaks due to its cleaning action.  If the gaskets are already leaking, clearing the breathers can sometimes also solve the slightest of oil weeps as excess pressure is now consumed by the engine....

DC

• Intermediate Member
  • Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2007, 00:15:22 »

The car was a real bargain and in better condition than some much newer and more expensive cars I had a look at, but I was getting worried earlier today. Will try to use motorway more instead of driving through the city and will than see what’s going on regarding the mayo. It could be due to this as I noticed it accumulating only after I started running through the city, not before. Thanks for help. Great forum, have been present as a guest since middle of Sept.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.