Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: steering problems  (Read 1005 times)

nergal

• View Profile
steering problems
« on: 22 February 2008, 11:49:26 »

I have just bought 2.2 CDX Auto 2003 Mot Jan 31st, Just serviced last week. I have noticed that the car is affected by unevenness/ruts/bumps in the road. It feels as if the wheels are loose (they are not).  Vauxhall dealer says tracking, tyres and two rear shocks should fix. Not likely, as Kwik fit says the tracking is ok, tyres are ok though not many miles left on them and didn't mention the shocks. The problem is very serious and unsafe. Can you advise, have you had this problem?
« Last Edit: 22 February 2008, 11:53:44 by yourgod »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: steering problems
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2008, 11:54:48 »

I have just bought 2.2 CDX Auto 2003 Mot Jan 31st, Just serviced last week. I have noticed that the car is affected by unevenness/ruts/bumps in the road. It feels as if the wheels are loose (they are not).  Vauxhall dealer says tracking, tyres and two rear shocks should fix. Not likely, as Kwik fit says the tracking is ok, tyres are ok though not many miles left on them and didn't mention the shocks. The problem is very serious and unsafe. Can you advise, have you had this problem?
Shocks are easy enough to test by 'bouncing' that corner.

Jack up front, look for play in wishbones, track rod ends, and wheel bearings.

Also, consider getting a full geometry check done on it - tracking on an Omega is a waste of money imho.  See http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk for getting a full alignment done if you are near Chesham (South Buckinghamshire)
Grumpy old man

nergal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2008, 11:59:23 »

Shocks seem ok, the rest checked at MOT, but geometry test is a thought. Are there any parts in the steering box that may wear and cause such a problem?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2008, 12:12:24 »

Shocks seem ok, the rest checked at MOT, but geometry test is a thought. Are there any parts in the steering box that may wear and cause such a problem?
Steering box is normally very reliable.

Just because something isn't picked up on MOT doesn't mean its not worth checking.  The bushes on the front wishbones are prone to failure after about 100k, so worth checking before spending to get fully aligned :)
Grumpy old man

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2008, 12:53:56 »

Hi
The most likely culprit is the front tyres.  Omegas are very sensitive to front tyre design.  What size, make and model of tyre do you have.  I had Hancook on the front and it tramlined like crazy.  I changed to Pirelli P6 and now the car is stable and a pleasure to drive.
Alan
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

nergal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2008, 13:07:48 »

I have Pirelli P6 on all 4! have you heard  of tramlining as a result of worn rear shocks, I think the dealer is looking to make money rather than resolve my problem. Obviously I will replace the shocks if they are worn but according to MOT and Kwik Fit they are ok.

zippo

• Omega Baron
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2008, 13:43:15 »

Also, consider getting a full geometry check done on it - tracking on an Omega is a waste of money imho.  See http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk for getting a full alignment done if you are near Chesham (South Buckinghamshire)

why is that Jaime, mine pulls to the left and i was going to have the tracking checked

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2008, 14:48:57 »

why is that Jaime, mine pulls to the left and i was going to have the tracking checked

my GLS pulled to the left even though the front wheel tracking was spot on, if you want to stop your car pulling to the left, get all 4 wheels aligned (full geometry setup), i took mine to A&M tyres at wigan, done digitally with the computer and those gadgets they stick on all 4 wheels, cost me about £42, there's also somewhere in oldham which i think was recommended by tony at Wheels In Motion as its obviously easier for us northerners to get to!
« Last Edit: 22 February 2008, 14:51:23 by D4NNY »

zippo

• Omega Baron
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2008, 14:52:10 »

my GLS pulled to the left even though the front wheel tracking was spot on, if you want to stop your car pulling to the left, get all 4 wheels aligned (full geometry setup), i took mine to A&M tyres at wigan

how much did that cost Danny

chrisr

• 02 2.2 petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2008, 14:56:30 »

I'd change the tyres if they're near to the limit, but as others and I have found steer (sorry!) clear of Pirelli P7s! The rear shocks can wait and they're easy to change yourself.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2008, 15:08:03 »

If the camber is to far out of adjustment then the car will try to correct that problem and the steering will suffer as a consiquence, so if you are happy that the front suspension bushes are all right than you need to get the geometry set up by Tony at WIM in hemel hempstead, he knows what an omega needs to make it drive as it should. Too many wheel tracking centres will put their equipment on the car and tell you that it is set up within spec, WELL IT AINT NO GOOD COS THE SPEC IS FOR A NEW CAR WITH NEW SPRINGS ETC, NOT A CAR WITH XXX MILES ON THE CLOCK. I can confirm that the pirreli p7's make for twitchy handling as i have them on my 2.5v6 but they are safe and handle ok after a trip to WIM. By the way where are you located? :y
« Last Edit: 22 February 2008, 15:09:06 by ffcgary1 »
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2008, 15:41:53 »

I have Pirelli P6 on all 4! have you heard  of tramlining as a result of worn rear shocks, I think the dealer is looking to make money rather than resolve my problem. Obviously I will replace the shocks if they are worn but according to MOT and Kwik Fit they are ok.

Hi
As you are on P6's I would say the problem was probably wishbone bushes.  Worn rear shocks may have a very slight detrimental effect on tramlining, but it would be very slight, hardly noticeable.
Alan
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

nergal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2008, 16:30:00 »

Located Ayrshire, so those of you up north (oldham) are actually down south.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2008, 17:57:23 »

Hi there mate blimy thats a long way from  hemel, speak to brucie[hotel 21] he holds the record for a trip to WIM, But if you can get your camber set to about 1,10 for fronts then you may see a difference as this is the setting that tony gives as the best for the omega.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.