Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Diff  (Read 458 times)

Growler

Rear Diff
« on: 26 July 2008, 14:17:25 »

I have a leak coming from the front of the rear diff (i think that's what it's called) where the drive shaft enters the housing, it's not real bad yet mostly just wet rather than having a drip, how can I fix this?

Growler

Re: Rear Diff
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2008, 15:06:28 »

I found the answer myself in the how too... section it's the diff pinion oil seal that is leaking. Should have looked there first  :D

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2008, 18:45:30 »

There you are then, it always pays to read the Maintenance Guides :y
I like red cars

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2008, 21:53:53 »

Hi,If the leak isn't too bad, then it's not really worth all the hassle of replacement seal, and all the hassle of trying to get the pinion bearing pre load back as it was, with all the dangers of damage if you get it too tight.

This is what I did with my Senator, it was only leaking half litre of oil in 100,000 miles.

If you open both ends of a baked bean tin, then cut lenthways with a pair of tin snips, then fiddle this over the front of the diff, the housing where the pinion seal is, making sure it shrouds over the oil thrower ring, fix it with a Jubilee clip, then the fine oil mist that is leaking won't go all over the exhaust pipes and underfloor of the car.

Roger
Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.