Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bumper impact foam  (Read 690 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Bumper impact foam
« on: 11 December 2008, 20:06:59 »

I have cracks apparently in the rear bumper impact foam (not the exterior of the bumper).

A couple of questions:

1. Is it expensive to replace i.e. can it be replaced or is it a new bumper? If replaced is a respray required?

2. What are the consequences of not replacing it?

3. Are there any other observations that would help make a decision on what to do and any pictures of what we are talking about here?

Did a search - not much on Omega but there is some stuff on Volvo
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

alexandjen

• Omega Knight
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
  • The Silver Surfer
    • View Profile
Re: Bumper impact foam
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2008, 20:10:56 »

I have cracks apparently in the rear bumper impact foam (not the exterior of the bumper).

A couple of questions:

1. Is it expensive to replace i.e. can it be replaced or is it a new bumper? If replaced is a respray required?

2. What are the consequences of not replacing it?

3. Are there any other observations that would help make a decision on what to do and any pictures of what we are talking about here?

Did a search - not much on Omega but there is some stuff on Volvo

Who told you the foam is cracked?

Has the bumper been removed recently?

The foam is a seperate item, just lifts off once the bumper is removed.
Trade club card holder
Code scanner available

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2008, 20:16:45 »

I had a driveway shunt from a family member - please ask no more questions on that point!! The car doing the shunting came off worse.

Bumper got unhooked on one side - took it to body shop who put bumper back on but said foam was cracked - didn't really get a clear answer. To be fair they put the bumper back for nothing in 30 minutes including fixing the broken plastic lugs which hold bumper on. I gave then a drink - £20. But just wondered whether I should go and get the foam sorted and how much is that likley to be.

alexandjen

• Omega Knight
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
  • The Silver Surfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2008, 20:39:21 »

I had a driveway shunt from a family member - please ask no more questions on that point!! The car doing the shunting came off worse.

Bumper got unhooked on one side - took it to body shop who put bumper back on but said foam was cracked - didn't really get a clear answer. To be fair they put the bumper back for nothing in 30 minutes including fixing the broken plastic lugs which hold bumper on. I gave then a drink - £20. But just wondered whether I should go and get the foam sorted and how much is that likley to be.

Probably be easier to get the foam from a breaker and fit it yourself, rear bumper isn't that difficult to remove :y
Trade club card holder
Code scanner available

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2008, 20:45:16 »

I doubt it would have any real benificial consequece to the car if you changed it, anymore than a shopping trolley bump and it cracks. doubtfull breakers ones would be any better nick by the time you get it off and home.

one of those out of sight out of mind things, treat yourself to that new set of wheels you wanted and think nothing more of it  :y

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2008, 21:03:18 »

I doubt it would have any real benificial consequece to the car if you changed it, anymore than a shopping trolley bump and it cracks. doubtfull breakers ones would be any better nick by the time you get it off and home.

one of those out of sight out of mind things, treat yourself to that new set of wheels you wanted and think nothing more of it  :y

That is what I was hoping someone would say - thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.