Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide Me Please  (Read 835 times)

Swampey

• View Profile
Guide Me Please
« on: 27 March 2009, 23:17:59 »

Hi All

I currently drive a 02 plate 2.6 Estate,

The nearest I have ever got to doing any sort of maintenance on this car is adding some oil, checking a dip stick... usual routine stuff, nothing major.
Have always Had the car serviced and repaired by either a main line dealer or local garage that the company I work for use.

In my earlier years,I thought nothing of doing my own repairs, maybe its me but the concern has ways been if a strewed this car up, it could cost a packet to put right.

As my next service is due in June / July, I am now toying with the idea of doing the service myself for a change and on a plus side, save my self a small fortune..as in the past main line dealers talk the talk and charge you £300 for the pleasure..

My question is..... can seem to get an up to date haynes manual as they dont produce one to cover the year of my vehicle.
So would buying the current one that covers uo to a T reg be Ok

Ive read alot of stuff on here about how to do stuff, seem pretty straight forward.. what do you all reckon....

PS   :D
« Last Edit: 27 March 2009, 23:32:11 by hotel21 »

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
Re: Guide Me Please
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2009, 23:20:37 »

Haynes do not do a Facelift manual, but quite a lot is the same. All the info you will need can be found here, and there is a shedload of experts on hand, who know more than "Main Dealers" (SPIT)   >:(
« Last Edit: 27 March 2009, 23:21:15 by Agemo »

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2009, 23:22:21 »

the older model miggy haynes book will cover the mechanicals, its just some electrics & body fittings that are different i believe :y

iainb

• West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2009, 23:23:51 »

Quite simple put go for it and do it your self.

If you only want to change the oil and filter its not that different from any other car.

There is plenty of help and advice for the more technical stuff

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2009, 23:33:51 »

Basic servicing is reasonably straightforward, particularly with the assistance of the guides that are available one OOF.  It does not need great masses of technical talent or expertise, just basic hand tools and a wodge of common (safety) sense......   :y

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2009, 23:47:16 »

fluids and filters are straight forward, 2 spanner rating in the haynes i should imagine. I have a haynes it comes in handy for most models afaik. Yours is drive by wire so slightly different but i think that only comes into it if your doing the belt/tensioner.
Fuel filter can be a fiddle with the clips, oil filter is paper in a canister so needs an appropriate tool for the extra girth, air and pollen as dead easy, oil is easy, coolent the rad has a tap pass side, brake fluid is no different to any other car.

Pas and dif fluid... Does anybody bother?

If its an auto there is a guide, every 60k some say 70k is fine. This is best done on a ramp as it can be bloody messy. Hth

Ps belts 40k or 4 years. :-)

going crazy

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2009, 00:29:20 »

If its an auto there is a guide, every 60k some say 70k is fine. This is best done on a ramp as it can be bloody messy. Hth

Sorry, what needs to be changed every 70K for a auto? Is it the ATF?

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2009, 04:06:39 »

Sorry, what needs to be changed every 70K for a auto? Is it the ATF?

Sorry,yes the ATF, 6 or 7 litres dexron 3, 2 gaskits and clean or replace the filter if its in poor condition.

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2009, 20:05:41 »

Get a "Trade Club" card, £20 when you join 'Autobahnstormers', GM 10/40 oil is 4 x 5 litre for the price of 3 ie £33 including vat for 20 litres, card paid for !!!
General service items are at discount prices.
regards
richarda
richard a
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.