Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of buying my first Omega  (Read 658 times)

allllec

• Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
Thinking of buying my first Omega
« on: 09 May 2009, 21:53:00 »

Hi there,

Thought this would be the place to ask.

A mate of mine has offered me a 3.0 v6 omega estate (R reg, whatever year that is!) Other than that I don't know anything about it just yet, no idea what the trim level etc is. But at some point I want to give it a good going over. I'm pretty good with cars but just wanted a heads up on any common faults that it would be worth looking out for, and if they're easy/cheap to fix etc.

Also the PAS is not working at the moment, assuming its a bust pump. How difficult are these to change?

Any advice would be great :y

Ta

Alec

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of buying my first Omega
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2009, 22:40:17 »

If the power steering isn't working check the fuse, if the fuse is ok then could be your pump. There is a how too for power pump replacement. Check the exspantion tank (rad) for any oil in the water and check the oil filler cap for mayo, this could be the oil cooler unless your friend makes very short trips.

If the car knocks at the front will be lower arms and drop links, this is a easy fix as well.

I'm sure someone else will be along to give some more info.

Paul :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2009, 22:48:24 »

Check front wheel play in any direction. Wishbones, drop links, tie rod ends and wheel bearings all consumables on Omegas.

Door straps can be noisy, usual leaks in engine bay are cam covers (easy to spot), hbv in the back of engine, oil cooler was already mentioned, it can also leak to outside, similar marks of leak as hbv.

Any extra noises from engine when cold, can be a sticky lifter or exhaust manifold leak.

Rust on doors and wheel arcs on earlier cars.

Make sure that cambelt has been changed according to schedule ( 4 years / 60 000 kilometres)

Can I really not think of anything else? Are Omegas this good? I don't believe my self  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2009, 23:12:49 »

The PAS not working could also be a failed ABS ecu, particularly if its a 1998 car (solid headrests, and audio controls on steering wheel), so check that ABS and TC lights go off.

Front suspension wear is a problem (expected with the mileage), cam covers leaking.
Grumpy old man

allllec

• Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2009, 01:26:58 »

Okay guys, thanks for the heads up!

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2009, 02:42:14 »

check all the dash lights work, light up and go out again. If they dont light up the bulb could have been removed to hide something. Shown in video in link to paper clip test below, which you may also want to try. Remember though, it only reads engine codes not gear box or abs ecu's etc
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1189022687

Also pull a plug lead or 3 and see if there is oil in plug wells. If so its fixable but knock him down.

Check scuttle drain, open pollen filter housing by tax disc and see if any water, can over flow into the pass foot well. Hth

allllec

• Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2009, 03:36:20 »

Cool, again thank you.

Just quickly gents, where do you vauxhall lot look for car parts? (Got a golf at the mo!)

Want to try and price up a new PAS pump :)

Justdave

• Merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2009, 08:06:44 »

On here is a good start ! there is a trade card available somewhere that was mentioned on here, I'm after one myself, I'm sure someone will give us the details shortly. You've come to the right site though which is a good start  :y  

Bumbazor

• Worksop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2009, 08:12:23 »

For most new parts we advocate buying genuine VX. Not many independent vendors sell genuine (although I did get a few genuine VX bits off ebay recently)  and sell pattern parts instead. Some pattern parts are shockingly poor. They're cheaper, but also quality can suffer. However, some parts are ok to get if they're not VX. Anti-roll link rods (I think FAI are a good make) for example, but if you are unsure check here first and help will come flooding in.

Therefore, the dealers are the place to go for most parts, and dealers prices can be reduced by obtaining a trade club card, or you might find a nearby OOF member can get the parts for you.

Used parts can nearly always be found here, by someone breaking or simply having a garage full of spares.

On here is a good start ! there is a trade card available somewhere that was mentioned on here, I'm after one myself, I'm sure someone will give us the details shortly. You've come to the right site though which is a good start  :y  

http://www.autobahnstormers.org
« Last Edit: 10 May 2009, 08:20:13 by Bumbazor »
To do: Replace brake discs and pads; adjust already replaced shoes; check for leaks in oil cooler, cambelt area, crank seals, sump, dipstick; replace osf door; replace a tyre; clean, MOT.

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2009, 09:25:59 »

it best to post a question re any parts on here first. Some vx parts are very reasonable others just plane take the pi55. Same with pattern, some work well for fair money some dont.

I take it nobody looks at signatures anymore then?

Halfords and vx trade club card links are at the bottom of my post. :-)

KillerWatt

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2009, 09:39:38 »

Some vx parts are very reasonable others just plane take the pi55.
Ain't that the truth.
At one time, genuine wishbones (complete) were £60...for some strange reason they are now just shy of £200.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2009, 12:44:48 »

it best to post a question re any parts on here first. Some vx parts are very reasonable others just plane take the pi55. Same with pattern, some work well for fair money some dont.

I take it nobody looks at signatures anymore then?

Halfords and vx trade club card links are at the bottom of my post. :-)
Exactly :y

Worth asking here which parts are ok to use quality pattern, and which ones must stick to genuine (eg cam cover gaskets)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.