Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: magnaman  (Read 611 times)

magnaman

• SWINDON , WILTSHIRE
  • my second miggi
    • View Profile
magnaman
« on: 19 June 2009, 10:11:56 »

hi all im buying a second miggi a 2.2 dti cd 03 plate can anyone give me any ideas of what to look out for

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: magnaman
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2009, 12:23:28 »

nothing inherently wrong with the engine, inlets tend to get a bit gummed up, and the turbos start to go - both a result of poor sevicing, particularly infrequent oil changes.  If you do get it, I would be inclined to do some quick oil changes initially over the next few months.

Engine aside, all the usual Omega things.  The manual gearbox is reliable, but often replacing the oil in it does make it better in use.  Front suspension is prone to wear at about 100k.  Inside edge wear on front tyres is a sign camber is out (no point getting omegas tracked, need full geometry checks to be honest). Obviously, like any car, shocks can be tired after a while.

With the help of this site, most niggles can be overcome :)

I big issue with Omegas is clocking - the cars wear so well, and it is ever so easy to wind them back physically, it is rife.  Go over the history with a fine toothed comb.  If no history, get the logbook number and look up the mileage on the governments MOT page - mileage should be recorded annually since the computerised MOTs came in about 5yrs ago.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2009, 17:57:51 »

nothing inherently wrong with the engine, inlets tend to get a bit gummed up, and the turbos start to go - both a result of poor sevicing, particularly infrequent oil changes.  If you do get it, I would be inclined to do some quick oil changes initially over the next few months.

Engine aside, all the usual Omega things.  The manual gearbox is reliable, but often replacing the oil in it does make it better in use.  Front suspension is prone to wear at about 100k.  Inside edge wear on front tyres is a sign camber is out (no point getting omegas tracked, need full geometry checks to be honest). Obviously, like any car, shocks can be tired after a while.

With the help of this site, most niggles can be overcome :)

I big issue with Omegas is clocking - the cars wear so well, and it is ever so easy to wind them back physically, it is rife.  Go over the history with a fine toothed comb.  If no history, get the logbook number and look up the mileage on the governments MOT page - mileage should be recorded annually since the computerised MOTs came in about 5yrs ago.

well, i didnt know that. Thanks TB. :y

magnaman

• SWINDON , WILTSHIRE
  • my second miggi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2009, 08:25:35 »

thanks guys thats a great help pic car up sunday cant wait cheers :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.