Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust - Hair ?????  (Read 1011 times)

I_want_an_Omega

Exhaust - Hair ?????
« on: 26 November 2009, 12:38:58 »

Hi,

I gave my 2.5 V6 a good "brisk" 300 mile run yesterday and was very pleased with the result.

However, this morning I noticed some black hair like stuff coming out of the exhaust tailpipe. The rear part of the exhaust has done less than 20,000 miles, so I'm totally confused and wonder what the fix is -  :-[ Although the going was brisk yesterday, it certainly wasn't ragging it.

Thanks

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust - Hair ?????
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2009, 12:40:04 »

Baffles have collapsed in the rear box.

What type of system was fitted?

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2009, 12:54:35 »

i'll guess bosal or walker.

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2009, 13:01:28 »

That happened to mine a quite few months ago but it has made no difference to the running and its passed its test after that too!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto.
Ray
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2009, 13:08:31 »

I have no idea what was fitted .......... I guess the good news is that its almost certainly the rear silencer and therefore probably not too expensive.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2009, 13:08:49 »

That happened to mine a quite few months ago but it has made no difference to the running and its passed its test after that too!
Ray

But it is broke.....and when it does throw in the towel fully the back box could well blow up.

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2009, 13:12:31 »

aggree with mark i had a Scorpio that did same and the "Hair" must av blocked something and the centre box ripped open after a dramtic loss of power..Change It
 i was stranded on the m1.
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2009, 13:30:29 »

Right, current status:

I'm awaiting a link from Daz as he knows somewhere that can supply for less than £50 IIRC, prices so far:

Vauxhall Masterfit: £276
Vauxhall TC £132 inc vat (parts only)
Kwik Fit: £97
National £98

I can make do without using the car for a few days so comments noted about "pop goes the Weasel".

Thanks ........ Rob

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2009, 13:41:38 »

"Sounds" familiar .. :)

Happened on my old miggy, I pulled out all the loose stuff and thought that was the end of it .... a month later I was thinking the performance was down a bit, booted it hard to overtake a bus, and a huge BANG from the back as the rear box disintegrated ....  :(

Change it before it blows up IMHO !!!   :)

RichardH

• Intermediate Member
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2009, 15:51:14 »

I had mine go BANG recently as I accelerated down the slip road to join a motorway.  Gave me a massive shock and when I pulled over, the back box had literally exploded outwards with hair everywhere.

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2009, 08:41:48 »

try Eternal car.com
Via google or ebay. Not used them myself but several members on here have and seem quite happy for the money. Hth

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2009, 08:52:55 »

OOOOOOps,
better get one for myself then too!
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

KillerWatt

« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2009, 09:04:51 »

Ray

But it is broke.....and when it does throw in the towel fully the back box could well blow up.
I can confirm the veracity of that statement. When the backbox on the one we had blew itself apart, it also holed the fuel tank.

Harison213

• Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2009, 09:57:22 »

Hi,

I gave my 2.5 V6 a good "brisk" 300 mile run yesterday and was very pleased with the result.

However, this morning I noticed some black hair like stuff coming out of the exhaust tailpipe. The rear part of the exhaust has done less than 20,000 miles, so I'm totally confused and wonder what the fix is -  :-[ Although the going was brisk yesterday, it certainly wasn't ragging it.

Thanks

Ray

I can confirm the veracity of that statement. When the backbox on the one we had blew itself apart, it also holed the fuel tank.

now you're being racist! you see black hair then it blew itself apart? what are you on now?  ;D

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2009, 16:20:55 »

SORTED  ;D

Got a trusted local garage to supply and fit one today for £80 so was happy with that. With delivery, fitting kit etc the best I could get one for next week was £50, so all's well that ends well.

Interestingly, the old one virtually disintegrated whilst it was being removed although it looked ok from the outside - this supports the MOT evidence of the car only doing a few thousand miles between tests.

See guys, I did listen to your advice and only drove the car about 4 miles after spotting the hair and posting the message.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 22 queries.