Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The O is driving me mad!!!  (Read 693 times)

Canon Cam

• Ferdown/bournemouth
    • View Profile
The O is driving me mad!!!
« on: 06 February 2010, 22:29:37 »

Ok, here goes with my current tale of woe on the missus' Omega.  had problems with it last year when I replaced cam sensor and cleaned the icv and also replaced MAF sensor.

Recently it was running very poorly and there was lots of oil in the plug wells.  Had local garage look at  it and they replaced the rocker cover gasket and new plugs and leads.

Then on Tuesday wife was on motorway when a load of smoke came out the exhaust and engine lost nearly all power.  Anyway, that turned out to be the catalytic convertor dying and bits from the cat blocking up the exhuast.

Just paid out best part of £350 for a new cat/fitting etc.  Garage said that the collant temp sensor is giving false readings so will need replacing (probably do that myself).

However, have noticed that the idle is not great.  I sort of "throbs".  PLEASE tell me this may be related to the dodgy sensor (although I suspect it is not).....or if not, what other avenues can I investigate??

Getting seriously miffed with the car now as spent near enough £700 in the last two weeks on it and it is still nowhere near perfect.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: The O is driving me mad!!!
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2010, 23:17:53 »

When the camcover gasket was replaced were the breathers cleaned out. If not, my guess is that your icv and throttle body are gunged up. http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1194007453
« Last Edit: 06 February 2010, 23:19:31 by RobG »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2010, 23:20:50 »

Ok, here goes with my current tale of woe on the missus' Omega.  had problems with it last year when I replaced cam sensor and cleaned the icv and also replaced MAF sensor.

Recently it was running very poorly and there was lots of oil in the plug wells.  Had local garage look at  it and they replaced the rocker cover gasket and new plugs and leads.

Then on Tuesday wife was on motorway when a load of smoke came out the exhaust and engine lost nearly all power.  Anyway, that turned out to be the catalytic convertor dying and bits from the cat blocking up the exhuast.

Just paid out best part of £350 for a new cat/fitting etc.  Garage said that the collant temp sensor is giving false readings so will need replacing (probably do that myself).

However, have noticed that the idle is not great.  I sort of "throbs".  PLEASE tell me this may be related to the dodgy sensor (although I suspect it is not).....or if not, what other avenues can I investigate??

Getting seriously miffed with the car now as spent near enough £700 in the last two weeks on it and it is still nowhere near perfect.

Had similar issues-but asked for help on here which made it economically viable to continue.  See the link at the bottom of the post  :y

With help on here, it'll sort  :y

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2010, 23:22:20 »

Idle can be rough if the breathers are blocked.also you can expect problems with cam cover gasket again.
You can check them easilyremove the large pipe from air filter to throttle body and check the butterfly.
if it is dirty remove the body and clean it, it is an easy job

Canon Cam

• Ferdown/bournemouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2010, 13:49:17 »

thanks, will investigate later.  I know a few weeks ago I did clean up the throttle body with carb cleaner, and the pipes from the breathers were gunged up, which I cleaned, so will do all that again.

Canon Cam

• Ferdown/bournemouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2010, 15:38:45 »

gone out to give the breathers a good clean, and noticed that the air filter pipe was unnatached!!!!

Cleaned everythign I could up, gave the maf sensor a suirt of carb cleaners, noticed there was oil on the butterfly of the throttle valve.!

Also topped up the coolant which now definately looks like it needs to be flushed and new coolant!

Lets see how things go now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.