Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hydraulic lifters v6  (Read 655 times)

terry

• Dorset
    • View Profile
Hydraulic lifters v6
« on: 17 June 2010, 22:59:04 »

I am in the process of top end rebuild and refurbed all but two lifters, as described in your post on this subject.  It appears these two have broken springs compared with the rest, as the pistons wont return when depressed by hand, as do all the others.  My question is, after expelling all the old oil from the good ones is it correct that the pistons now have "bounce”?. If yes then i have no problem with these 22.  What baffles me is, i called in at Vauxhall to buy two new lifters and on inspecting these found that they had no "bounce" at all in the piston, is this because they are preloaded and fully pumped up?

Also can i fit new lifters in the old bores without problem? Vauxhall price £27 each.... and no i didn’t.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment 

archiewood

• View Profile
Re: Hydraulic lifters v6
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2010, 03:49:52 »

They will be preloaded I think. I got some new ones a few years back and they didn't move either.

Yes, the pistons will be 'bouncy' until they are loaded up with oil again. You can do this yourself by immersing them in oil and pumping the piston until bubbles stop coming out of the hole in the lifter, or you can just let the engine pressurise them for you when it runs, bearing in mind it will probably tap like hell for several minutes while this is occurring.

New lifters in old bores is fine - fitting used lifters in a different bore than they came out of is a no-no.

terry

• Dorset
    • View Profile
Re: Hydraulic lifters v6
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2010, 22:42:06 »

Thanks for the input Archie much appreciated, im just really trying to avoid having to strip top of the engine again, once i get it reassembled , so i need to get it right first time.

thanks again my friend
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.