Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uneven idle - what to test next?  (Read 992 times)

Vegar

• Fauske, Norway
    • View Profile
Uneven idle - what to test next?
« on: 20 October 2010, 20:31:22 »

Hey,
ive been having experiencing very uneven idle on my 1996 2.0GL. Its fine for a minute or two after i start it up, but after that it revs between 1100 and 1800 ca.

I have cleaned the throttle valve assembly (as described here http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1207387811) and the the jet under the throttle housing. This only made it more annoying, as the it revs faster now.

I have also tried the paper clip test, which gave no result. Hopefully no blinking means no fault signals stored(?).

I am know in desperate need of advice of what to do next, as im on a tight budget at the moment. Could cleaning and/or blocking the EGR valve help?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Uneven idle - what to test next?
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2010, 20:33:54 »

Does butterfly close fully?

Any air leaks?

EGR sticky?
Grumpy old man

Abiton

« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2010, 20:37:07 »

^^What he said +

Does the EML (fault light) come on with ignition, then go off again?
In other words, could the bulb be broken/missing?
« Last Edit: 20 October 2010, 20:37:48 by Abiton »

Vegar

• Fauske, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2010, 17:50:09 »

Progress: EGR blocked. It didnt seem sticky but I blocked it anyway once i had it out. Didnt improve the idling tho :(

I also checked the spark plugs and found large amounts of oil in the spark plug well. Could this have been caused by clogging of the small breather hose or is this a sign of something more sinister that should be dealt with?

Abiton: Yea, the bulb is ok. If I turn on the ignition without the paperclip inserted, the engine light is on. As I insert the paperclip it disappears. Should it be blinking 1-2 1-2 ? And yes, the butterfly closes completely.

Ill try to check for air leaks tomorrow. Any tips of how i can do this? Any areas i should investigate closely?

I was also wondering if there is any way to chech the mass air flow sensor without actually replacing it?

« Last Edit: 21 October 2010, 18:59:36 by Vegaran »

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2010, 19:18:36 »

found large amounts of oil in the spark plug well

That's your problem. Leaking oil from the gaskets, this will cause breakdown in the HT leads and misfiring. New camcover gaskets first and clean the breathers, then possibly new set of leads.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2010, 20:01:21 »

Progress: EGR blocked.
Ill try to check for air leaks tomorrow. Any tips of how i can do this? Any areas i should investigate closely?

I was also wondering if there is any way to chech the mass air flow sensor without actually replacing it?

Spray carb cleaner to check for leaks, revs will increase as this is sucked in to the engine.

Disconnect Maf sensor, if there is an improvement in the running, then sensor is faulty.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2010, 01:19:54 »

vegar wrote:
Should it be blinking 1-2 1-2 ?
YES... if there is no blinking then the test hasn't been performed. If you are bridging pins 5 & 7 as recommended (5th & 7th down from top on right hand row as you look at test socket) then try 5 & 6 instead... this always works without fail  :y
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Vegar

• Fauske, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2010, 17:34:04 »

Update: Tried unplugging the MAF sensor while it was idling unevenly. The rpm dropped from 1100-1700 to a somewhat steady 500. The sound wasnt all that steady, but the rpm didnt vary much.

I also finally managed to paperclip it. The only code i got was 0100, which according to TheBoy (http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1206569945) is the mass flow sensor. However, i did this after I had disconnected the MAF with the enigne running, and I'm not sure if this is the cause of the error code.

So I'm guessing the uneven idling is caused by a faulty MAF sensor. Tried cleaning the filament with start gas, which resulted in a minimal improvement. Might be my imagination tho  :-/ Anyone know where I can buy one cheap?

As for the oil leak in the plug well, I've taken some pictures to keep the thread interesting. Camcover gasket change needed?

« Last Edit: 22 October 2010, 17:40:41 by Vegaran »

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2010, 20:17:29 »

If you are going to buy gaskets as well as maf then drop PM to AndyC for best prices.
Don't forget to do the breathers as well otherwise your new gaskets won't last very long.   :y

The error code may or may not have been there before you unplugged the maf.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2010, 20:18:42 by Kneepad »

Vegar

• Fauske, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2010, 10:58:45 »

Parts ordered! Big thanks for all the help and to AndyC for great prices. The parts turned out to be 1/3 as costly as the local dealer estimated.

I'll update the thread when the job is done.

Vegar

• Fauske, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2010, 09:07:23 »

New gasket, spark plugs and MAF in place!

Still the same problem with revving at idle tho. Im running out of ideas of what to do next :(

Abiton

« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2010, 09:57:47 »

There must be a leak of unmetered air somewhere after the MAF.  Get a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the intake area, and all vac hoses, with the engine idling.  Any area where spraying changes the revs needs investigating for cracked hoses etc.  :y

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2010, 10:00:14 »

Have you been here?

Spray carb cleaner to check for leaks, revs will increase as this is sucked in to the engine.

or here as The Boy asked.

Does butterfly close fully?
Any air leaks?
EGR sticky?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.