Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear suspension creaking  (Read 942 times)

Trothy

• Warrington
    • View Profile
Rear suspension creaking
« on: 15 January 2011, 14:33:01 »

Hi everyone,  have noticed the rear suspension on my omega (2.2 Saloon 2001)  started creaking very noticeably over speed bumps during the recent cold snap. 

It's a bit warmer now and the creaking is not as bad but definitely still there.  If I give the car a hard push on the boot corners a pretty loud creaking noise can be heard.

Would I be right in thinking this is the rear donut bushes that need replacing?  As the car is going in for it's MOT in a couple of weeks would this likely be a fail on the MOT?

Cheers,

Allan

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Rear suspension creaking
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2011, 15:56:04 »

Hi everyone,  have noticed the rear suspension on my omega (2.2 Saloon 2001)  started creaking very noticeably over speed bumps during the recent cold snap. 

It's a bit warmer now and the creaking is not as bad but definitely still there.  If I give the car a hard push on the boot corners a pretty loud creaking noise can be heard.

Would I be right in thinking this is the rear donut bushes that need replacing?  As the car is going in for it's MOT in a couple of weeks would this likely be a fail on the MOT?

Cheers,

Allan

AFAIK the rear donut bushes can't be checked on an MOT as they are not visible ... and no dismantling is allowed .. if I'm wrong I'm sure "someone who knows" will correct me very soon .. :)

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2011, 21:12:09 »

Cheers,

Allan

AFAIK the rear donut bushes can't be checked on an MOT as they are not visible ... and no dismantling is allowed .. if I'm wrong I'm sure "someone who knows" will correct me very soon .. :)

I have had a failure on my TD for excessive play on a nearside donut bush. I found no evidence of this myself, so took the car to another MOT station where it passed without a mention.  :-/

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2011, 21:54:51 »

Mine failed the MOT and they where knackered. They are visible to an extent, with the car on a ramp certainly, or when jacked, by looking through the gap under the triangular plate, more obvious when looking from the direction of the rear dif, see the guide. There is a pic of donut in situ. Press the bump stop/knobly bits around the outside diameter in towards the centre of the bush, if they stay put all is well, if they fold in towards the centre to reveal a rusty mess underneath they are fubar.

As said elsewhere on here there can't be many omegas left with sound original rear donut bushes, my previous car was a 52 plate, bushes failed. Most of the cars done at Newent where facelifts post 01 at least iirc.....and all had a valid MOT.

Failed bushes front and rear, IME, are often missed by MOT inspectors, and I was actually quite pleased when mine where spotted. Tightened up the back end nicely once replaced.

Hth.

Trothy

• Warrington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2011, 23:17:25 »

Many thanks for the info guys. 

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2011, 00:09:28 »

Many thanks for the info guys. 
Not saying your squeak is definitely rear bushes mind.

But if it's that audible I guess it should be easy to find with an assistant bumping the car while you carefully look underneath....

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2011, 09:30:07 »

Mine failed the MOT and they where knackered. They are visible to an extent, with the car on a ramp certainly, or when jacked, by looking through the gap under the triangular plate, more obvious when looking from the direction of the rear dif, see the guide. There is a pic of donut in situ. Press the bump stop/knobly bits around the outside diameter in towards the centre of the bush, if they stay put all is well, if they fold in towards the centre to reveal a rusty mess underneath they are fubar.

As said elsewhere on here there can't be many omegas left with sound original rear donut bushes, my previous car was a 52 plate, bushes failed. Most of the cars done at Newent where facelifts post 01 at least iirc.....and all had a valid MOT.

Failed bushes front and rear, IME, are often missed by MOT inspectors, and I was actually quite pleased when mine where spotted. Tightened up the back end nicely once replaced.

Hth.

Hello

I have same problem, the colder the louder. Where is the guide ? How to change them ?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2011, 11:45:49 »

Hello

I have same problem, the colder the louder. Where is the guide ? How to change them ?

When at the Omega Owners Forum home menu, click on Maintenance Guides in the second section down (Omega Help).

This opens the maintenance guides so click on Maintenance Guide Index towards the top and look down through the various links, set out in relevant sections for engine, electrical, drivetrain etc etc.

In the drivetrain section, the rear subframe bush guide is the last in the suspension section.

:y

sierrapaul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2011, 15:06:52 »

if you can get a lever bar in there and theres excesive movement they will fail the mot.get under it with a can of white spray greese and spray spring mounts,shock mounts and any bushes.its where its been cold and damp and now its dry and things have got rusty most cars go like it in winter.white greese with ptfe in it is all you need

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2011, 15:25:30 »

This sounds like rear anti roll bar bushes are creaking due to the amount of salt put down this winter, remove the anti roll bar rubbers and clean the bar then grease the rubbers with some silicone grease and refit.. Simples. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2011, 17:15:57 »

if you can get a lever bar in there and theres excesive movement they will fail the mot.get under it with a can of white spray greese and spray spring mounts,shock mounts and any bushes.its where its been cold and damp and now its dry and things have got rusty most cars go like it in winter.white greese with ptfe in it is all you need
Is White grease petro chemical based?

I'd be using something sylicon based on bushes/rubber components tbh.....?

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2011, 17:30:05 »

Like what i said :D
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2011, 17:34:50 »

Like what i said :D
Indeed, like wot you said.  :)  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.